Dry Bond for concrete block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am not a bricklayer but trying to learn. I am possibly overthinking this but let’s see.

Please see picture attached. I am trying to figure out the cuts for blocks I am laying. This will be the inside leaf of a cavity wall with a door installed to the right.

The 1st course I think is correct but I don’t think the 2nd course is. Can anyone tell me if this is wrong or I have over thought this please. Do I need to do a different cut/layout on the 2nd course.

I assume the 3rd course will need to match the 1st course

Take in advance

Attachments

• C64EB323-4841-4CCF-93F5-68048C5823EB.jpeg
    C64EB323-4841-4CCF-93F5-68048C5823EB.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
That's OK , but it looks like you have two cuts per course - if so, this is a waste of effort and blocks.

Does it work a full block with 100mm piece on the ends? If so, you only need to cut one block into quarters and it saves on waste.

I would return the blocks at the reveal as it makes this small piece of wall much stronger - especially when doors are involved

1684940212703.png

You should have a wall tie every course 150mm in from the door end, and a tie to the wall every two course is not using a wall starter.

That's OK , but it looks like you have two cuts per course - if so, this is a waste of effort and blocks.

Does it work a full block with 100mm piece on the ends? If so, you only need to cut one block into quarters and it saves on waste.

I would return the blocks at the reveal as it makes this small piece of wall much stronger - especially when doors are involved

View attachment 304293

You should have a wall tie every course 150mm in from the door end, and a tie to the wall every two course is not using a wall starter.
Thanks for the response. It’s a full block and a 120mm cut piece. The area to brick is 580mm wide hence the full block and 120mm piece with 2 x 10mm joints (not sure if there is a more technical term). Based on the above is there a more efficient way still now? I like the idea of a return but unsure how to incorporate given the dimensions

Also thanks for info on the wall ties I’ll incorporate that into the wall.

Ok that's fine then given those dimensions. It looked like a cut full block, but must be the perspective.

For a return ....

foto_no_exif (2).jpg

Edit: I suppose that 100mm cut block in from the corner could be 110mm and the joints 10mm! :rolleyes:

The main thing is that you get 4x cuts out of a single block.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ok that's fine then given those dimensions. It looked like a cut full block, but must be the perspective.

For a return ....

View attachment 304305

Edit: I suppose that 100mm cut block in from the corner could be 110mm and the joints 10mm! :rolleyes:

The main thing is that you get 4x cuts out of a single block.
I like this. I’ll go with this. Many thanks for your help much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back