Bricklayer problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am looking for some advice on a problem that I am having with the Bricklayer that is building a property for me.

He constructed the footings for me and then after I layed the block and beam floor he started to lay the external walls.

I had to do some research myself to find out the correct detail of how the radon barrier and cavity was fitted and let him know.

However after describing it to him he has done it incorrectly. I now have to knock off 2 courses of brick from the outer leaf, so that the cavity tray can be formed.

My issue with him is, if he is a qualified Bricklayer and he has be doing it for around 20 years, surely he should no the layout of this construction at floor level.

He said that he has never fitted a Radon barrier on a block and beam floor before, but I can't see what this has to do with the forming of the cavity tray.

I have not been in this industry long, but I'm assuming that these sort of things are basic construction methods.

I would like to know if this is correct because I will not use him again.

I didn't think it was down to me to have to explain to him how to form the Radon barrier and cavity tray.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have come across 1 gas membrane detail in 30 years of building and until i saw the detail of such had no idea how it was constructed.

So, no, it is not a common occurrence. And if you do not have a detailed drawing outlining this particular detail then it is you who is at fault.

Hi.

The drawing that the architect gave me to give the bricky was outlining where all the windows and doors were exactly positioned.

He had drawn it to block/brickwork so everything fitted without any messing about.

When I asked him about the setup of the walls at floor level, due to this being a block and beam floor he told me to use info from the Cemex website, which is where I got the beams from, although he said that the bricklayer would know how it was laid out.

After searching the net I managed to find the drawing layout from the 1999 radon report at this site.

http://www.melton.gov.uk/PDF/Radon - Protective Measures in New Dwellings.pdf

I found it strange that he didn't know, but if this is the norm and he should have had a separate drawing from the architect explaining the lay out then at least I know.

Sponsored Links
Aye the architect is a lazybones for not doing a proper job or you paid a cheap as chips price for the drawings package. Frankly it doesn't matter whether the bricky had done it before or not, despite the misconception, not every job is the same, the point is if a drawing has been done it can be followed. No drawings nothing to follow.

This a new build house or extension?

It is your responsibility to provide a suitable design specification detail for the bricklayer to follow, and not for him to guess

There are several possible ways of doing this barrier and tray, and presumably the brickie is not a mind reader

It does seem that your Architect is wanting ... wanting a smack around the head to liven him up

The Architect and Bricklayer I'm using have both been working for my uncle for around the last 20 years.

He has a successful property company, but to be honest I've noticed corners being cut when I've been on-site at one of his projects.

I'm trying to do everything by the book as I don't want a poor constructed house and I also don't want to be having to re-do something because it hasn't been done correctly.

The Architect new I was using my uncles Bricklayer and so he must have assumed that he new.

What is the correct procedure when getting detailed drawings about every stage of the build and how much should I roughly be paying.

When I first spoke with the Architect he said he would draw things up as and when I needed them.

I think the problem I've got is, he thinks my uncle is probably going to have more of an input into the project (which he is not) and know what to do.

Cheers.

The Architect new I was using my uncles Bricklayer and so he must have assumed that he new.

TBH, that is rubbish

The Architect designs, and does not assume.

He designs and specifies how the thing is to be built, and does not produce drawings "as needed" ... how are all the trades supposed to know what is going on without a full set of detailed drawings?

Have any drawings been submitted for b/regs approval? The traditional method would be to have all the drawings done before the work starts not while it is going on, and then anyone on site will know what to do - and there is no need for uncles or anyone else

It would seem that you will have more luck with a Magic 8 ball running the project

Hi Woody.

This is a learning curve for me, mistakes that I won't make again.

I bought the plot with OPP. Drawings had already been submitted to the planning.

The Architect also works hand in hand with the BCO and I am paying them privately instead of going through the local council.

I was not aware of the set up with the Architect and didn't realise that all drawings designs were drawn at the beginning.

I have just had to tell him to design the roof structure for the carpenter who is starting on the 12th Dec.

I thought this was the normal way to do it.

Oh dear. No its definitely not a case as design as you go

You are also going to need SAP and energy calcs for this new build and air tests, so I wonder how the Architect knows that the property will conform if he has not done any detailed design assessments yet?

And how do you know what materials to order with no details?

How close is close when you say that he works with a private BCO? Too close perhaps?

I have had SAP calcs done.

One of the things that came up with the calcs was to do with the insulation.

We have used 110mm cavities with 60mm of Celotex. This gives me a U value of 0.25 and I was told I needed 0.26. It saves me having to use thermal blocks or insulated plasterboard.

I have also been told that I will need to have an air test before it's singed off, something that I need to read up on.

Cheers.

I was not aware of the set up with the Architect and didn't realise that all drawings designs were drawn at the beginning.

I have just had to tell him to design the roof structure for the carpenter who is starting on the 12th Dec.

I thought this was the normal way to do it.

What I can't understand is how you actually got planning permission in the first place without having a complete set of drawings.
Surely the planning committee need at least a visual representation of what he finished building will look like, with sizes etc on it?
How can the architect now start designing the roof structure? Honestly sounds like it's the architect who's making it up as he goes along.

PS does he do the drawings on the back of a fag packet?? ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hi joinerjohn.

No, the drawings are on the back of a betting slip.

The drawings that were submitted to the planning department were already done when we bought the plot. The people who originally bought it had OPP, but then decided to sell the plot on.

There were drawings of the finished property inc all dimensions, the grading of the ground and there were also 8 conditions that we have to adhere to.

Cheers.

Sounds like someone bailed out when they got windy about the build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back