Quote for bricklaying.

It's probably worth a try.

Like I said, i'm not trying to screw anyone over. I have worked in the trade and know how hard it can be especially during bad weather.

I guess I'm assuming that any work for cash, especially at the moment would be a big advantage. They have had quite a few weeks where no work has been avaliable for them. This is probably wrong on my part.

But you also have to look at it from my point of view. For the past six months I have had to take a 20% reduction in pay for the same hours and I'm trying to keep costs as tight as possible.

I'm beginning to regret ever starting this extension as its been one issue after another. (planning / building control / headache after headache) :rolleyes:

Anyway thanks for all your comments. I have taken them on board and will have to make a decision one way or another.

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
No aggrement was made that they would get the job and they were well aware of this when they did the footings.

Remember lads, always build footings out of square and out of level if it looks like you may not get the super-structure job. LOL :LOL:

Anyway the thing is, no-one is going to work for nothing, and whether its cash or not, a brickie wants to be going home with the same amount.

Its the client who will save by paying cash, the brickie will get the same.

A two storey extension is what, two weeks work for a 2:1? So if they are all on £100 a day then its 30 man-days so its £3k. If they finish quicker, then its a higher day rate, and their bonus

The fact that they are a 3:1 is their problem. It should be that they can finish the job quicker and move on to the next, but otherwise the client should not be subsidising the third man

im not getting judgemental, im just stating facts. You said they quoted you a price and i assume you must have agreed to it as they are doing the work. the fact they have no work or some work is immaterial, as are your personal circumstances as crap a situation as that may be. Its a case of cake and eating it. From what you have said you wouldnt expect to pay them more if they take longer, but you dont want to pay an agreed (by whatever notion its agreed!) price as they seem to be doing it quicker.

as for the cash aspect, well theyre taking the risk of getting caught doing it,(and thats up to them) while you get the benefit of no vat on the labour.

im not having a go, you asked an opinion and thats what ive given, im not being judgemental or otherwise

A ot of discussion without the most basic of information being given!

Most important ! Who decided thyey have to work at weekends? If its the customer then expect about 30% extra!

I did a boiler repair for an English brickie in London who has not done any laying since last April ( thats 2008 ! ).

He says that an empoloyed brickie would expect about £130 per day if only there was any work. He has been doing a bit of decorating when he can get it.

Historically a good brickie can lay 1000 per day if its a straight run and he is fully supplied by a labourer. That was one labourer for two brickies.

Take it down to say 600 if there are a few reveals but that what I would be calculating it on.

Blockwork is very quick indeed by contrast to facing brickwork. But of course you have to consider if there is any fancy pointing involved as that can slow it down. Seriously, if the pointing was to be in a different mix!

During the week, I would think that £3000 would be about right but about £2300 if the recession is being fully taken into account and the brickies are hungry!

As a DIYer, I could lay about 500 a day if it was to be rendered. Many less if facing. I did my porch in facing and my brickie friend said it was adequately good. But then he was a real traditional brickie and built many of the East London tube stations. He was also a Mason!

Tony

Sponsored Links
At the end of the day its a one off job for some one ,if you had 20 extensions on the go you could knock off a few £s, Id Rather work on a site and get £140 just ploding along, 400 bricks maybe depending what the foremans like, :)

A ot of discussion without the most basic of information being given!

Most important ! Who decided thyey have to work at weekends? If its the customer then expect about 30% extra!

I did a boiler repair for an English brickie in London who has not done any laying since last April ( thats 2008 ! ).

He says that an empoloyed brickie would expect about £130 per day if only there was any work. He has been doing a bit of decorating when he can get it.

Historically a good brickie can lay 1000 per day if its a straight run and he is fully supplied by a labourer. That was one labourer for two brickies.

Take it down to say 600 if there are a few reveals but that what I would be calculating it on.

Blockwork is very quick indeed by contrast to facing brickwork. But of course you have to consider if there is any fancy pointing involved as that can slow it down. Seriously, if the pointing was to be in a different mix!

During the week, I would think that £3000 would be about right but about £2300 if the recession is being fully taken into account and the brickies are hungry!

As a DIYer, I could lay about 500 a day if it was to be rendered. Many less if facing. I did my porch in facing and my brickie friend said it was adequately good. But then he was a real traditional brickie and built many of the East London tube stations. He was also a Mason!

Tony
not many brikies like that about now :(

I have never seen anyone be able to lay 1000 bricks a day in any sort of acceptable standard. Maybe in common walls 1 brick thick or wider, and large footings with good access, but otherwise - and particularly on 4 1/2" facework on typical storey lifts, then no chance.

Speed and accuracy drops off rapidly as walls get up to chest height.

And I have lost count of the number of walls where I have poked the perps with a pen and its gone straight through, or it's bowing like a 747 .... so the wall had to come down and rebuilt properly :evil:

Yes anyone can throw a load of bricks down and big themselves up that they have laid "x" amount a day, but when you stand back, all you see is a pile of wavy, up and down, smudged to f**k, shi'ite with nothing in the joints and all the compo on the floor :rolleyes:

The BBC had a contractor to build a new 3 m square building to house transmitting equipment.

Two bricklayers worked on the job and each worked starting on opposite corners.

By the time the walls were up to the full height of 2.5m on the corners, one brickie had managed to get an extra course of bricks into his 2.5m corner!

Tony

yrs ago a guy I once laboured for a bricklayer and he layed 100 bricks from profiles in 15 minutes on a bbc 1 show jointed up too , and he came 3rd, Ps i originate from purley in surrey and now live in little clacton,worse move i ever done,if i could had afforded it id a stayed where i was , so less of the tractor boy! cabbage patch boy! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back