Hiring a Labourer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

Doing a small residential extension on my house, wouldn't mind getting in some reliable help for ad hoc tasks.

Anybody done this on theirs? If so, how have you gone about finding some help.

Wouldn't be weeks worth of work, just a week here, next stage wait, then another week, etc according to how it progresses.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Very good question - I've had a lot of days (literally) of just moving crap loads of material over the last few years and have often wondered the same. Chuck a few quid at somebody local who can do it while I work, then I can crack on in my evenings and weekends.

To be honest, my biggest concern is 1) Liability (Though I do currently have insurance) and 2) Inviting strangers into/around my house

Will be following this thread

Rather than pick a stranger ask family/mates if they know anyone that is hard working and honest who wants to earn a few bob. Make sure you offer the correct rate for your area.
Whether to pay them a daily rate or hourly rate is your decision but if you pay a daily then, for your benefit, make sure there is enough work to last the full day. If hourly then agree to note what time he comes and goes and both keep a record of the times. Saves a lot of arguing at pay time.

I've thought about this too! Will just keep DIYing though - my body needs the exercise. Although it feels like it needs a rest.

Sponsored Links
Its a hundred years since Peterloo and "employers" are still trying to squeeze workers for a few bob.
Why not try your local cardboard city - there's always one or two mooching about who would be willing to be exploited?
Or "rather than pick a stranger ask family/mates" - not a bad idea because after exploiting them they'll never speak to you again?

Temporary labour should be well rewarded - never less than a full day.
we pay temps £300 for three days and £75/day for five days - cash in hand.
we'll know in the first hour if they are willing to work - if not they are given a tenner and sent on their way.

Its a hundred years since Peterloo and "employers" are still trying to squeeze workers for a few bob.
Why not try your local cardboard city - there's always one or two mooching about who would be willing to be exploited?
Or "rather than pick a stranger ask family/mates" - not a bad idea because after exploiting them they'll never speak to you again?

we'll know in the first hour if they are willing to work - if not they are given a tenner and sent on their way.

If this is a poke at my post you will see I advised to pay the going rate for his area. Nobody has suggested 'exploiting' anyone. Whenever I have used mates of mates or relatives I have insisted on paying the going rate. I have never done 'mates rates', especially for skilled trades, as they are trying to earn a living just the same as me.
Oh, and I've never fell out with anyone as a result of employing them.

Its pretty difficult to find decent labourers.

Good ones will be fully employed by builders.

The chances of finding a good guy available for a few days here or there is unfortunately quite small.

A beginner labourer will lots of supervision, even moving blocks from A to B.

Called a recruitment agency, contacted a local college, not heard from college. Called a mate who's got a business, awaiting his input.

Agency willing to help, issue is charging VAT, and need to pay up front, looking at 16 per hour ish.

I am lucky in that can work from home a bit, so can be around to supervise.

£300 for three days or £375 for five days. Let me think about that....So, the more they work, the less they get?

Last edited:
£300 for three days or £375 for five days. Let me think about that....So, the more they work, the less they get?

Im guessing that's to pay for the awkwardness of work for the remaining 2 days they can't easily get gainful work for?

Aye work an extra 2 days for £37.50 a day? :unsure: got me stumped there

So, exploit workers- bad; aid and abet tax evasion- good? Did I get that right?

Got a groundworker for 180 per day, labourer for bit less 150, start in a couple of weeks.

Agency said there are a few private owners that have come to them this year for help, as cheaper than giving a builder 70k to do the lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back