New Extension Project - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need some advice if possible, extension is starting on 2nd Aug, contractor selected (recommended by the draftsman who did original plans), planning permission obtained but I have no building regulation drawings or pre approval for building regs, is it possible to build without them on a notification basis and have it inspected as the works progress? Is this a bad idea?

This is the first build / extension project I have been through and i'm feeling really unprepared. Would really like some advice or tips from builders or people who have been through similar projects.

The job is to remove an existing conservatory and then replace with a brick built extension with roof lantern and patio doors. I have attached the quotation to give you an idea of the detail the builders have gone into which seems ok to me but i don't really know what i'm looking for.

The builders are a large firm with about 60 employees and they say this is a small job for them which will take 6-8 weeks. How do i make sure it doesn't run over or they don't leave my job and go and work on something else? I'm moving out whilst work being undertaken so could not have it delayed significantly.

I've been told there will be a contract and stage payments which i guess is important. I'm just a bit out of my depth now the date is drawing closer and i would like to be prepared or at least know what to look out for or get in writing before the work commences.

Link to quotation document - https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/extension-quotation.100019/

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Did you pay your draughtsman to prepare Building Regulations drawings and submit a full plans application? If not then it should be no surprise that he hasn't done it. If yes you'd better give him a call and tell him to pull his finger out. If you don't know you should probably give him a call and ask him. Or is the builder intending on doing it under a Building Notice? Personally I prefer full plans, it gives more certainty, especially if you are concerned about meeting a completion date.

The best way to make sure the job does not over run is to have a good set of drawings with detailed schedule of work/specification so there are no delays caused by lack of information or queries over details. Also close project management so you can monitor progress and flag up any potential delays or slow progress so it can be nipped in the bud. Finally prey to whatever imaginary deity you might believe in to make sure there are no hidden surprises under the ground, you do not have excessive inclement weather during the project, all the tradesmen enjoy excellent health throughout the job and all materials are delivered on time without faults and defects etc. etc.

A contract has to be agreed by both parties so make sure you are absolutely happy with it, it is absolutely essential it is in writing with both of you having signed copies. It should detail the work to be carried out, the timescale, and if you are going to make stage payments what exactly those stages are (Make sure the stages are linked to the work done and not the time there). After that do not deviate from what you agreed. If you seek to change things during the progress of the works that could create problems for the builder and in turn for yourself. Note that the builder has not included a radiator, so don't expect one! - If you want one get the cost sorted out immediately and include it n the contract.
The ideal contract will also detail what happens when the unexpected arises. As the home owner you are responsible for the building control approval, it is quite normal for a home owner to pay some-one to do that for them but in doing so you need to know who pays the building control (approval and inspection are seperate) fees. Speaking to people to move things along is great but confirm in writing anything agreed.

Please note the recommendation from the draughtsman will not help you if the builder turns out to be a bad one. You could ask for references of work done and visit people who had work done by them.

Sponsored Links
I've been told there will be a contract and stage payments which i guess is important. I'm just a bit out of my depth now the date is drawing closer and i would like to be prepared or at least know what to look out for or get in writing before the work commences.

What contract are you using? There are homeowner forms of contract from JCT or FBM and the like. Don't sign one prepared soley by the contractor based on their terms.

Basically with stage payments, never pay more than the value of work completed at that time. So at the end of the job, there should still be a sizeable amount to pay the builder - this is his incentive to stay and complete.

If there are costs to you due to moving out, then ensure that this is written into the contract, so that if the job overruns, you can reclaim these costs (deduct from final payment). That's not to say that there wont be any unforeseen things that crop up and may cause delays, or there might be design changes, but you should agree any work or any time extension as soon as it becomes known - and these wont be at the builders expense. Make the builder fully aware of this in the contract and before hand.

You may choose to have a 'retention', which is a small sum kept back from the completion date to cover any defects that arise later - 3, 6 or 12 months are typical. 5 or 2.5% of the total value is normal.

As for the plans, yes you can start before the plans are approved for building regulations, but you rely on the plans being compliant (ie a competant designer) and the builder having good knowledge in case the plans have errors.

Also check that there are no public drains nearby or under the extension, as you may need the water company's permission first - and that takes a while. Building control should not approve any plans if a 'build over agrement' is involved. Ask your designer.

Also are party wall agreements required with neighbours? Again, ask your designer., and these agreements can take a while if you choose to follow the rules.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back