Hiring a Worktop jig? worth it or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im a first time DIYer and im about to put in my first ever kitchen. Now my main worry is the worktops. We have gloss laminate tops that will be placed into a U shape so there will be the need to two mitred joints.

Now many people I have spoke to said that its not worth messing with it yourself and get someone in to do it. Ive had a couple of quotes and they come to approx £100. (which is not too far from the price of the tops themselves!)

Just checking online and it looks as though the cost of hiring a jig and router is about £30 a day.

Now I can get my old man to help (hes a chippy) and im wondering is it worth having ago myself? Im pretty sure I have enough length in the tops so if something goes horribly wrong all is not lost!

Any thoughts, ideas, experiences would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
buy a scummy old work top and try that as if were the one you were really going to fit, the decide

build into the equation than you need a new cutter for every joint
[2 practice 2 real] at around £8 a time
= possible saving of 30 to £40 assuming you dont bu 66er up a wortop
is it worth it giving half your day off to save £3 5;)

the hire price is also likley to be plus vat

if you have kids pets or are house proud or use the kitchen occasionaly i would avoid gloss worktops like the plauge they show up all the fingerprints /splashes and minute scratches that you cant see on normal worktops

you will regrett getting them within a few weeks :cry:

Get the pros in, its a very fiddly process and your more than likely to mess it up. Also I agree that gloss worktops get grimy very quickly.

Sponsored Links
I'll be fitting a new kitchen in my house shortly and I'm not gonna bother doing the worktops myself. If you make one mistake it could mean a new length of worktop which would probably be about the same cost as getting someone in.
I know a local timber supplier that will mitre worktops for £40 a joint - so that would be £80 total for you. For an extra £20, someone will come to your house and fit them? Snatch their hand off!
Bare in mind your walls might not be 90° - that makes it more difficult. ;)
I also agree with the advice about ditching the gloss finish worktops - you WILL regret it.

Well we had a guy come out on Sunday and he fitted the worktops for us. He was here from 08:30 till 16:00. He did two mitres and cut the hob and sink out (and attached the sink and taps!) and cut the lengths to size aswell. Bolted them all together and sealed everything etc. All this came to £100! (well we gave him £110 cos he was a nice chap and did a really good job!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back