WORKTOP JIGS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm attempting fitting my own kitchen for the first time. I'm quite good at DIY and done quite a bit already but I've never cut worktops to size!

Firstly with the right tools and a bit of common sense is this job okay to attempt ?

Secondly, the worktop jig itself is over £50 in B&Q, but I have seen it half the price new on ebay ! Would there be a terrific difference with the cheaper ones ?

The other tool I would need is the router, again cheaper on ebay, any good ?

BARCUD

Sponsored Links
CUD - if you're only going to do the one w/top just hire the tackle from your local hire shop. Check the condition of the jig for dents/bits missing/uneven surfaces on the guide-path - these need to be smooth to ensure clean cut. Also BUY a NEW kitchen worktop cutter to go in the hired router (½"). Then practice, practice, practice before you attempt to cut your w/top - you can do this on ply - to get a feel for the tackle.

Use the Search function in the above Menu bar for cutting kitchen worktops as your question has been posted & answered, more fully, before.

Have a look on this site

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/

There are some downloads that show worktop jigs being used.

If you buy the kit you will always have it for future use.

You could flog the kit on ebay after you have finished with it.

The key is practice and practice and.......

Damaged worktoops are often sold v cheap by the sheds, great for practice cuts.

Or find your nearest laminate supplier and get them to cut your tops. I do. I use Oxford Laminates and they charge £50. I'm taking a worktop to them this week.
By the time you've purchased the jig (or hired it) and you will make an expensive mistake one day - it is easier to let them do it and you get first class results every time.

Sponsored Links
For a balanced decision you will have to ask yourself how many times in the future will you use the jig and the router, bearing in mind that the router does loads more than just cutting worktops.

Hire the jig and router, read the information lots of times, make some practice cuts and go for it.

I attempted mine at the weekend, made an excellent job if I dont say so myself, cost me £35 for the tools and about £12 for the bit.

Make the cut in steps, dont just try and do it in one sweep, cut from the front edge inwards.

Apply a bit of common sense and its pretty straight forward, took me about an hour to make the first join.

Hire the jig and router, read the information lots of times, make some practice cuts and go for it.

Make the cut in steps, dont just try and do it in one sweep, cut from the front edge inwards.

Ensure that the cutting edge of the router bit is cutting towards the side you need to cut, this will mean you will have to cut one worktop with the jig on the top face of the worktop and the joining worktop the jig will need to be mounted to the bottom. If you do not get this right, the cutter will knock a large chunk of the laminated surface off the worktop. So really you need to check several times before you take that cut....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back