Hiring painter to paint external house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Im thinking of selling next year and want to make the place look more 'cared for'. The outside is white painted tyrolean render and is starting to look a little tatty (no idea when it was last painted - probably many many years ago). Im a complete novice at this, but I think a couple of coats of good quality external paint will make the place look really nice.

Im going to get some quotes, but Id like any advice you guys have on what to ask a decorator (what type of paint they use, what methods, credentials etc...).

Unfortunately Ive missed all the sunny weather, so I presume its going to be a lot harder in cold/damp conditions (impossible?). I drove past another cottage that was being painted using some sort of spray. Is this the fastest/cheapest way of doing it? Will they have to use scaffolding to do it, or will they just use ladders? (its a small terraced cottage. I presume if they need to hire scaffolding then it will be much more expensive).

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
They can normally do it off a ladder, what colour will you go for?

Post a picture of the front of your house.

Andy

Hi HERTSDRAINAGE2010
Id like to go for white. Im mid terrace, and the neighbouring properties are looking pretty tatty too. I was thinking of asking them if we all get our houses painted together (we might get a discount) but theyre both elderly neighbours, so I doubt they will have the money/inclination.

What do you think? Do you think they can just use ladders? What do you think the sort of cost Id be looking at and what factors will play on price?

Thanks

Ladders can be used for heights up to first floor level, i.e. gutter level, and work is for a short periods and allowing the user to maintain a hand hold and not overstretch, and ladder should be secure.
But the decision is up the the decorator if he feels safer using scaffolding, he has to abide by his personnal accident Insurance.
Under H & S anyone hiring someone to work for them knowing they do not have the right equiptment and the workman has a serious injury or is killed can be prosecuted for negligence.
I would suggest that the rendering/woodwork etc is jet washed off, sealed where necessary and a good Trade Masonry paint used. You can get quick drying Masonry paint for damp conditions, but is very expensive. So is better to wait for Spring if you are not in a hurry.
Word of mouth is always the best way of getting a workman. and if you have a Trading Standards " Buy with Confidence" scheme in your area go for them at least you have some "comeback" with Trading Standards.

Sponsored Links
Just seen your photos,
Ladders should be OK, but above the Porch might be a problem.
The Decorator might want to use a Tower system for safety.

Ladders will be fine, ask friends or family for recommendations. Or look in your local paper, make sure you get 3 WRITTEN QUOTES.

Nice little house.

Andy

Great - thanks guys. Helpful as always. Im going to pop round the neighbours this afternoon and gauge their reaction when I suggest we get the whole terrace painted! :eek:

Hi guys,
Last week I got a quote back from one decorator. He's charging £3 per sq foot. Would you say thats about average? (Im still waiting for a couple of decorators to come out and quote, so Ill find out soon!)
Hes going to be applying fungicide to the walls; power wash; make good repairs; cracks; apply primer coat; apply undercoat; apply top coat. That seems pretty thorough to me!

Hi guys,
Last week I got a quote back from one decorator. He's charging £3 per sq foot. Would you say thats about average? (Im still waiting for a couple of decorators to come out and quote, so Ill find out soon!)
Hes going to be applying fungicide to the walls; power wash; make good repairs; cracks; apply primer coat; apply undercoat; apply top coat. That seems pretty thorough to me!

Sounds a very detailed and thorough estimate/quote.
Not sure how the £3 per square foot works out, does that include all materials, I price for the job not the area involved

A wall 10ft x 10ft would cost £300. seems a bit steep to me. If there is not a lot of cleaning off and making good.

Thanks. I think its 'all in' - theres no mention of materials costs on the quote.

Im awaiting two other quotes. Ill post with what they say (for sake of comparison).

If it doesn't say that materials are included, then their not included!

Ask for a fixed price including all materials, it must be a quote with a final finished price.

NO ADDED EXTRAS!

Andy

Hi guys,
Ive made a decision on the deocrator. However, I just wanted to get your thoughts on this: My neighbour who has lived next door for 30 years has said that the terrace has got a lime wash on it, so normal exterior masonry paint will just crack because the cob walls will expand/contract. The decorator has said he'll be using Dulux Weathershield Masonry Paint. Do you think this will suffice?
Thanks

If its got a lime wash on it, i doubt very much if its tyrolean - it would be a lime render which is much more likely on a cob building (bit unusual for surrey)? so you need to establish whats what, its a no no to put weather shield over lime thats for sure. A cob building needs to breath as they are very sensitive to damp which is why a lime render is applied which needs a lime paint. Did you tell the painter its a cob building?, if so he should have picked up on it so he may not be the right man for the job.

The photos of the property seem to have disappeared, but it seemed this was a terrace property and in the region of 1940`s, so not a cob building.

I would have thought a pressure jet clean off of the rendering and a coat of Stablising solution prior to a Water based masonry paint would suffice

Needs further investigation though to ensure what the rendering is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back