Hissing noise from Vokera Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
Vokera HE Boiler Installed last year been running fine - 3 bed - 7 rads.
Just had a radiator moved for room re-arrange. The plumber said there was no reason to drain down the whole system - he isolated all rads at both ends then - cut the pipes - did the business - re-connected.
When it came to re-filling he bled the rads then opened up the boiler and said "I always do this"
He unscrewed the giant screw on the Grundfos pump. I didn't see much evidence of any air coming out only water.
Worried, could he have been letting air in?
I said "Dont these autovent?" He looked like he'd never heard the word.
Now every time the boiler fires up or stops burning there is a hissing sound coming from the boiler like a steam train 'SSSSSSHHHHHHHHH' :confused:
Never heard this b4 something has changed.
But what?
Ta.
G.

Sponsored Links
The autovent removes air from the circulating water.

The screw in the pum p removes air from the pump.

Keep your eye on the pressure for a few days.

Tony

Hi Everyone
Not happy about having to resurrect this post but I have put the heating back on now for about 2 weeks.
Almost every time the boiler fires up for the CH the autovent goes off as well.
The pressure is rock solid and has not moved at all for the two weeks.
I have bled all rads and can't get any air out just a few drops of water.
I put some inhibitor in before I re-pressurised the system.
Puzzled!! the hot water works O.K. in fact the heating seems O.K. and all the rads are working it's just that I never heard the autovent at all before I had the work done.
Could it be that there is not enough inhibitor in the system and the hot water is releasing gases into the circulating water?
Can't think of much else.
thanks
G.

Sponsored Links
You have done the correct thing to add to your existing post.

I think that you are being over concerned. Its people like that who feel compelled to fiddle with their system and often just make things worse.

Its quite normal for a small amopunt of air to come out of the AAV.

Its not normal for an owner to keep putting their ear to the boiler to listen to it.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back