hissing sound from laguna engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, i have a 2003 renault laguna 1.9 turbo diesel. its just developed a loud hissing noise from the engine when i accelorate. it sound like air blowing out of somewhere. i need to take all the plastic covers off the engine to find out whereabouts on the engine but i want get a chance now til next weekend. i have heard cars in the past making a similar noiseand they all seemed to be diesel. so i think it may be quite a common problem. does anyone know what it could be???

Sponsored Links
sounds very much like a split hose on the air intake side, between air filter intercooler and turbo, once the covers are off it will be pretty hard to miss

Split hose unlikely! Split intercooler very likely!! You need a new modded (metal braced) intercooler.

Easy to fix if you feel confident removing the front bumper which isnt difficult, You should easily see the split segments of the cooler, Look through the front bumper grill and you might be able to see the top of the intercooler bulging out.

I'd agree with the above, unless it's not revving to full revs in which case id be looking at a blocked exhaust

Sponsored Links
Split hose unlikely! Split intercooler very likely!! You need a new modded (metal braced) intercooler.

Easy to fix if you feel confident removing the front bumper which isnt difficult, You should easily see the split segments of the cooler, Look through the front bumper grill and you might be able to see the top of the intercooler bulging out.

Hi I know this is an old thread but the symptoms and explanation you give seem to fit how my Kangoo van is behaving.
Is it the intercooler itself or one of its hoses?
Is there a way of finding out before I take the bumper etc apart

Thanks

This was a well known issue on the Laguna, the boost parameters were set too high so the intercoolers blew up.

I'm not sure about the Kangoo, I've not worked at Renault for some years now.

Have a listen & a feel around for any leaking boost while someone revs the engine, hopefully you can pinpoint the source of the boost leak, look for any signs of oil leaking from a boost pipe or intercooler.

Back