Hitachi NR90GC Framing Nailer won't fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just bought a Hitachi NR90GC framing nailer off ebay, which was an hour up the road from me, so I picked it up in person. It’s used, in decent nick (the battery clip is broken but the casing all looks clean and in good shape) and advertised as working. Charged the battery, loaded some gas and nails into it, pressed the nosepiece down against some wood and…

… nothing.

Green light flashes, but no noises of any sort. When I pull the trigger, nothing happens.

Should it make a noise when the nosepiece is pressed down? Should the fan switch on? Some mechanical/electrical noises of gas being squirted in?

Guy seems genuinely annoyed that it’s not working. He said he'd used it for making a lot of decking and tried it with no nails to check it before he put it on ebay. Offered me a refund or to cover the cost of repair by a hire shop.

Any common faults I should look for before I decide to return or get it fixed?

Sponsored Links
If i was selling the tool i would first charge it up so that any potential buyer could see it working - i would suggest that you return for your refund.
Suppose that a repair shop charges you to tell you that its so expensive to fix its unrepairable - do you then think that the original seller will refund the original price and the repair bill?

In his defense he had no gas for the gun and I didn't bring any so I couldn't have seen it working. Since it was an ebay sale I'm covered by ebay and Paypal so return is definitely an option.

Just wondering if there's anything common with these nailers? Safety switches? Some little sensor which needs cleaned?

Got it working this evening. For anyone else who has a similar problem, mine was to do with the nosepiece. As you push the nosepiece down onto a surface and it slides back, the combustion chamber in the back of the gun closes up and the fan switch should come on. My nosepiece was adjusted for 'maximum depth' - i.e. slid all the way back. The pin in the adjuster 'window' slot was actually slightly under the end of the slot, which meant that the nosepiece was slightly proud and stopped it from sliding all the way back and the fan coming on. Once I moved the pin away from the end of the adjuster slot, the nosepiece tightened down to the right level and slides freely back.

Even at 3/4 of the adjustment, it still manages to shoot a 90mm nail 5mm below the surface of a pine 4x4.

Simples. Very happy now with my bargain nail gun.

Sponsored Links
If you find it starts to fire intermittently even on full gas and charge, check the mechanism that pushes the gas canister upwards. On my brother's a vital component had developed a crack and wasn't pressing the gas can properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back