Hitachi or Bosch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I want to buy a SDS hammer drill. Screwfix sell a Bosch @ £ 100 with a discount of £ 50. BES sell a Hitachi with more or less the same specs @ 120. If the Hitachi is better than Bosch I do not mind paying the extra £ 20. Can u please advice me on which one should I go for? Btw I will not use it often, but it is nice to have a durable and reliable one. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify.

My view is that any of the branded drills of the same specification and features, at a particular price point are as good as each other.

It just comes down really to price and what accessories are included in the deal

For SDS, just compare the impact energy (in Joules) if you will be drilling tough concrete or masonry

Happy drilling

Sponsored Links
I have only ever used Bosch (blue) SDS drills so am a poor candidate to judge.

What i can say is that the punishment we put our drill through is enormous and the drill does not even bat an eye.

You can not kill one.

The hammer impact is impressive, the clutch is good and the torque is adequate. Drills with lots of punch simply need to be able to turn unlike drivers etc.

I have only ever used Bosch (blue) SDS drills so am a poor candidate to judge.

What i can say is that the punishment we put our drill through is enormous and the drill does not even bat an eye.

You can not kill one
Really? Well I did manage to kill a blue Bosch - it took me 20 years and six sets of brushes and what finally did for the drill was the fact that Bosch could no longer supply a suitable capacitor, and in any case the gearbox was getting a bit noisy. Not bad for a £120 drill bought in 1990 :LOL:

Had two large Bosch drills die on me in 4 yours. Both is a loud, smelly, blue puff of smoke.

The second one I couldn't actually moan about as it was core drilling a damp thick wall well beyond its capacity - and a DeWALT went a similar way a year later.

Currently have a drill for every occasion - mixture of Milwaukee, for smaller stuff. Dewalt 18v cordless set for the normal stuff and a cheapo Screwfix Sparky for core drilling and beating the underlings with.

German reliability and engineering is a fallacy people.

My Blue Bosh is now 9 yrs old and takes lots of punnishment.
Two sets of brushes and a clean up now and then.

The reason i state BB- sds (bosch blue) is because if you pitch them against a similar costing, similar sized, similar powered equivalent and put the same drills through the same tests, the BB will win.

Every time.

I am not saying however, that the standard BB-sds is the answer to all drilling scenarios.

I use a plethora of manufacturers of power tools for differing tasks and their frequency of use. For example, i would buy a low end product for infrequent use and buy say Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, etc for frequent use.

I have a Bosch green planer, jig saw, circular (for ripping floor boards).

I have B&Q own brand (but quite heavy wattage) circular and reciprocating saw.

All the rest are frequently used pro' brands and are priced as such.

All the frequently used products are fully serviceable.

If i could afford say Hilti or Festool i would every time.

Only a complete idiot would have the gaul to discount German engineering.

Only a complete idiot would have the gaul to discount German engineering.
Especially if they were to realise that Milwaukee corded SDS drills were probably all designed by AEG, Winnenden (Germany) or Kango, who became part of AEG in the 1990s, or that most deWalt cordless drills were designed in Germany (by the design centre taken over when Elu were bought-out) or that Sparky still licence a large number of designs from AEG, and also used to make compomemts and tools for them..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back