Hive 2, Logic ES30, Dual zones...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have just purchased a Hive 2 on offer at screwfix with a couple of bulbs, seemed like a great offer to take the plunge...

I’m not going to attempt a self install unless I feel completely confident, I have both a plumber and electrician friend, either of who I will get in if I’m not certain. The main reason for my post is to ask whether what I want to do is possible.

We have 2 heating zones, one upstairs, one downstairs. There’s a stat in the hallway and one in an upstairs bedroom, then a valve in the upstairs cupboard.

The upstairs heating is rarely used, once a week, if that... I’ve only bought one hive stat, and if possible for now, just want to replace the downstairs stat to control the downstairs heating zone and keep the current stat for the mean time in the upstairs zone.

If that is possible... my next question is regarding where to wire the controller... Our boiler is in the kitchen, there’s 3 cables from the boiler that go straight in to the wall, there is a spur just below the boiler but it’s behind tiles...

As there are three cables in the boiler, would the controller fit just under the boiler and be cabled to the boiler replacing one of the wires to the relevant stats? I believe the third cable is an external thermometer to the boiler. This was disconnected though as it was giving us issues with not being able to heat the house whilst the sun was directly on the sensor...

Have attached photos of the boiler/spur and the stat.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• D6A1A4B6-8883-4CAC-B058-9C82637CE073.jpeg
    D6A1A4B6-8883-4CAC-B058-9C82637CE073.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 280
  • 3F0D3EE7-F1FA-48D6-82D1-C1991544A067.jpeg
    3F0D3EE7-F1FA-48D6-82D1-C1991544A067.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 304
  • CE0BFD82-9197-4E18-9119-CD050C4A99E2.jpeg
    CE0BFD82-9197-4E18-9119-CD050C4A99E2.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 310
  • CE0BFD82-9197-4E18-9119-CD050C4A99E2.jpeg
    CE0BFD82-9197-4E18-9119-CD050C4A99E2.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 289
  • 58F5D5C2-DE90-42DD-A169-F11FCB8E7880.jpeg
    58F5D5C2-DE90-42DD-A169-F11FCB8E7880.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Took some photos from inside the boiler, attached.

Attachments

• 07B0DE3F-14DB-49B9-810D-3C95BE5C6096.jpeg
    07B0DE3F-14DB-49B9-810D-3C95BE5C6096.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 22C99AAA-1201-4E30-B4DF-D112B363FE90.jpeg
    22C99AAA-1201-4E30-B4DF-D112B363FE90.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 179A7330-62A2-44FF-A8AC-D1BFE9F35F95.jpeg
    179A7330-62A2-44FF-A8AC-D1BFE9F35F95.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 287
The thermostat has a number of jobs it can do. The main one is to turn off the system when not required. With a multi zone that really means turn on the system when it is required. So you can have many thermostats in parallel in systems using motorised valves it's the valve micro switches in parallel.

However you don't want a thermostat with anti hysteresis software for that job. The TRV controls the temperature the thermostat turns the system on off it does not set temperature in each room.

Where there is a forced air heating so the air is all circulated around the house you can use a single thermostat to do whole house. This is very different now you do want antI hysteresis software. With many boilers today the thermostat connects to the eBUS and is not simple on off.

HIVE does not have eBUS but does have anti hysteresis software. It would seem it is designed for old boilers not the modern ones with modulated output.

Before anyone can say how to connect one has to work out what you want it to do. If you want to turn something on off remotely you want a WiFi relay not a thermostat. If you want to change temperature you use a TRV not a wall thermostat.

If you want better control in each room then electronic heads for the TRV.

How it is connected depends on what you want it to do.

The thermostat has a number of jobs it can do. The main one is to turn off the system when not required. With a multi zone that really means turn on the system when it is required. So you can have many thermostats in parallel in systems using motorised valves it's the valve micro switches in parallel.

However you don't want a thermostat with anti hysteresis software for that job. The TRV controls the temperature the thermostat turns the system on off it does not set temperature in each room.

Where there is a forced air heating so the air is all circulated around the house you can use a single thermostat to do whole house. This is very different now you do want antI hysteresis software. With many boilers today the thermostat connects to the eBUS and is not simple on off.

HIVE does not have eBUS but does have anti hysteresis software. It would seem it is designed for old boilers not the modern ones with modulated output.

Before anyone can say how to connect one has to work out what you want it to do. If you want to turn something on off remotely you want a WiFi relay not a thermostat. If you want to change temperature you use a TRV not a wall thermostat.

If you want better control in each room then electronic heads for the TRV.

How it is connected depends on what you want it to do.

Cheers but a lot of that is over my head!

I know that a thermostat just turns a boiler on/off until it reaches a desired heat. That’s what our current thermostats do and I assumed that Hive thermostats would just replace the ones. We just want to replace the ones we have to be able to control heating remotely and via Alexa voice controls...

Sponsored Links
In some cases it is as simple as unplug the programer and replace with hive. However since you have zones it is unlikely in your case.

HI've has a problem it is not volt free with multi zone and is not modulating. There is a list of Bosch boilers which will not work with hive but it does not say why.

If you have neutral at thermostat then you should be able to fit hive. But really that is not where a hub is normally fitted.

HI've is not designed for water systems it is really for hot air systems used in USA it will work but not using the modulating systems used in British systems. For that you need like of nest or evohome even then depends on make of boiler and type of radiators.

Oh, I’ve seen lots of posts where people are using hive with water systems, thought that was the norm in the UK? British Gas offer it for use with their gas central heating. And the hive website says it works with multi zone. Guess I will just return it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back