Hive multizone install with system boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a system boiler with two heating zones, and I'm trying to install Hive

I have a Hive (version 1) controller, and a Hive Multizone unit

Can someone tell me whats the best way to wire it up?

Photos in album

Cables into connector unit (from left to right):
Boiler / Mains In / Downstairs 'stat / Upstairs 'stat / Downstairs valve / Upstairs valve / Hot water valve / Controller / Cylinder

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I assume that you have two programmable room thermostats [not sure what the Danfoss backplate in your second photo is, there are lots of Danfoss products and the connections aren't all the same] also, what controls the on/off times for the hot water?

so, can you provide details of the following please:
Upstairs thermostat make / model & wires connected
Downstairs thermostat make / model & wires connected
Whatever is controlling the hot water on/off times make / model & wires connected

Hi - yes two programmable 'stats, both identical, Danfoss T4000 - both downstairs and upstairs wired in the same, photos in album

Danfoss controller for hot water, TS715-Si, again photo added to album

Si

Thanks. that was very helpful. I assume that you will use a dual channel hive for downstairs and hot water control, and a single channel hive for upstairs.

If so, you need to remove the following cables from the wiring centre [Make sure to leave any other wires going into the same terminals in place]

1) Remove the cable going to T4000 Room Thermostat downstairs

2) Remove the cable going to T4000 Room Thermostat upstairs

3) Remove cable to Timeswitch 715Si

Then run new cables to connect the two Hive receivers to the wiring centre in their place as below:

Hive Model (1).jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you that's spot on, I'll give it a whirl tomorrow morning

Hi chaps. I’ve also just self installed hive2 on a multi zone system. I removed both old wired room thermostats and disconnected the wires at the wiring centre and then bridged the live and switched live (n/o) wires at the centre for both circuits to create a perm connection where the stats used to fulfill this. I then initially connected both zones to the single hive receiver along with hot water (so upstairs and downstairs zone wires to the one ‘CH on’ terminal) which is working fine just whilst I work out the install of the second receiver to support both zones.

I am now intending to install the 2nd receiver at the side of the first in my utility room (which replaced my programmer), and link across the permanent live and neutral plus the single wire for the upstairs heating only onto the 2nd receiver.

Presume this sounds ok? I didn’t know if I had to run another live, neutral etc all the way from the wiring centre to support the 2nd receiver as opposed to just sharing the existing ones with say a wago connection or terminal block to power the second receiver as well.

Thanks very much for any advice.

Nick

So long as the live and neutral are permanent, and supplied from the same fused spur as the rest of the heating system, it doesn't actually matter where they are connected in. So linking both receivers is fine.

The dual channel Hive would be used for one of the heating zones (usually downstairs) and hot water, and the single channel Hive used for the second heating zone. (usually upstairs)

Thanks Stem, that’s really helpful to have confirmed and yes the dual receiver will look after downstairs and hit water with the single channel looking after the upstairs zone only. I was just wondering why live and ‘1’ are linked together in the wiring diagram on the second receiver terminals. Is this necessary?

Yes, it's necessary. The Hive is basically just a switch. With the single channel version, terminals 1 (common) and 3 (heating on) are wired straight to the switching contacts, so just like any switch. A light switch for example, you need one connection for the live supply, and another connection to supply the device being switched. In the case of Hive, terminal 1 has the the live supply to one side of the switch, and terminal 3 connects the other side of the switch to (in your case) the motorised valve.

The dual channel version needs extra terminals for controlling the hot water, so the common contact of the switch is wired internally to the live terminal instead of being connected to an external terminal, meaning no link is required as it is already there inside the Hive.

Why doesn't the single channel Hive have the link made internally? Some combi boilers use 24v for their control, and connecting this to 230V would be disastrous, so in this case, the boiler provides the 24v which is wired to the contacts and there would not be a link made to the L.

Hello, thanks for the comprehensive and very useful response. I had no idea there was a difference between the dual and single receiver units and would have been there all day trying to work get one out!. I will ensure I bridge across the live and 3 terminals. Really appreciate the input Stem. Good of them to cover all this in the instructions!

Sorry I meant live to common terminal!

All good, can see the differences now.

Kind Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back