Multizone Hive with combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive bought hive multizone on a Black Friday deal and want to get it installed this weekend but trying to get my head around installing the receivers is proving tricky.

I have an Alpha etec 28 combi boiler with wired Honeywell t3 thermostats (downstairs & upstairs) and danfoss zone valves. Where is best to install the receivers and what wires go to what?

I’ve attached photos of all parts of the system.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_1140.jpeg
    IMG_1140.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1142.jpeg
    IMG_1142.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1143.jpeg
    IMG_1143.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1146.jpeg
    IMG_1146.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1147.jpeg
    IMG_1147.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1148.jpeg
    IMG_1148.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1149.jpeg
    IMG_1149.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
I would put Hive’s near the wiring center and take permanent live and permanent neutral along with the live and switched live that feeds the thermostats and place in the Hive receiver. Do the same for the other one.

Just to add, if you were going to connect the Hives to the wiring centre...

Terminal 5 is the permanent Live
Terminal 10 is Neutral
Terminal 9 is Earth

Terminals 6 and 7 are where you would connect the switched lives from the Hive receivers

Terminal 8 is the switched live returning to the boiler.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks both for the replies! I think I follow what you’re recommending.

Just to be clear, you’re saying I have all the cable I need and I should pull out the wiring that is routed to the current thermostats and refit to the receivers?

Sponsored Links
Just to be clear, you’re saying I have all the cable I need and I should pull out the wiring that is routed to the current thermostats and refit to the receivers?
It's basically up to you! :)

We have no idea about the location of your existing stats; would replacing them with a Hive receiver look bad aesthetically? If so, move them to the wiring centre, especially if it's in a convenient location that's out of sight!

Whichever you choose, you have all the wiring you need at the existing stats location, or at the wiring centre.

And if you do start pulling out wires, make sure you leave the cable to the boiler in place, the one associated with the switched live on terminal 8.

Thanks @RandomGrinch

I’m going to start with replacing them at the thermostats (bedroom & hallway) and then if I get a telling off from the missus I’ll look at putting them next to the control center.

From reading a similar forum that @CBW responded to does the wiring principle below apply? I’ve seen a few things warning against the loop to com 1 but not clear if that’s relevant for my system.

Once you confirm if the grey is neutral then:

Brown to L
Grey with blue tape or sleeving to indicate a neutral wire to N
Link a wire from L to Com (1)
Black wire with brown sleeving to heating on (3)
Park the earth in earth terminal or leave in connector block.

Once you confirm if the grey is neutral then:
Unlike many other posters, your grey wires are connected to neutral at the wiring centre. They are also oversleeved in blue behind the thermostats.
This strongly suggests that they are neutrals!

Brown to L
Grey with blue tape or sleeving to indicate a neutral wire to N
Link a wire from L to Com (1)
Black wire with brown sleeving to heating on (3)
Park the earth in earth terminal
Yup, that's it. Simple really! :)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
managed to get round to installing and did so as per the list above, all receivers and thermostats work. However, when I turn on either the upstairs or downstairs thermostat they turn on the full heating system. Am I missing a step with the wiring or is it something that I need to adjust in the app?

managed to get round to installing and did so as per the list above, all receivers and thermostats work. However, when I turn on either the upstairs or downstairs thermostat they turn on the full heating system. Am I missing a step with the wiring or is it something that I need to adjust in the app?
How did you connect them in the end - did you place the receivers where the old stats were, or did you wire them in to the wiring centre?

Went with locating them where the original thermostats were. If there was anything that went wrong (typical it has done) it could be worked through methodically

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 23
Went with locating them where the original thermostats were. If there was anything that went wrong (typical it has done) it could be worked through methodically
If there were no changes at the wiring centre, then everything should work exactly as it did (assuming the system was working correctly before!).
Your wiring appears correct at the back plate.

Is the whole system coming on, because the second thermostat is also calling for heat?

May be it's a set up problem; have the receivers been correctly paired to the thermostats? I don't even know if it's possible, but could one thermostat be calling for heat from both receivers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back