Hive 2 Wiring

I just wanted to bump this thread as it went quiet over Christmas, so I parked fitting the Hive until the new year.

Any thoughts on wiring as per my previous post (17th Dec) would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have already told you. You can't make it work with a dual channel reciever. You should have returned it for a single channel variant. Probably left it too long now.

I was thinking of bridging the current thermostat wiring and transferring the current built in timer wiring to the Hive due to this using 240v. I figured there would be a way if the built in timer currently sends a 240v signal to the boiler for both the heating and hot water. I believe the Hive also does this.

I have had a look at the wiring diagram for the single channel Hive. Does this also use 240v for the heating on? Just trying to understand why the single channel would work and not the dual channel.

The current timer uses low voltage to trigger heating. On a single channel reciever you can put this low voltage signal to terminal 1 and output it to terminal 3.

Sponsored Links
Oh OK, so the single channel Hive is low voltage for heating, but the dual channel Hive is 240v for both heating and hot water?

So a single channel Hive could take the existing thermostat wiring from the 'PT plus' and just add the 240v power supply to it? I guess this is better than the current control over heating.

Is it out of the question to use the 240v signals from the boilers built in timer with a dual channel hive. If the existing thermostat wiring is bridged on the main circuit board it would be always on but the Hive would control it instead using the wiring from the built in timer. This would obviously be the preferred option as I would have control of the water too (and I already have the dual channel Hive).

I may still be able to swap the Hive but I want to be absolutely sure I can't get the dual channel working.

The preferred option would be to ditch the Hive and fit the Thermista-stat, so the system functions properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back