Hive active heating install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm trying to replace a Plumb Centre wireless thermostat EHE0200361 on a combi boiler with a Hive thermostat. The current thermostat has Neutral, Live, A and B connections. I take it one of these is the permanent and the other is switched live, but what do I use for common? Also there is no earth connection at the moment. I will try and upload a picture.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20171123_165740.jpg
    IMG_20171123_165740.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 564
Sponsored Links
For the single channel version of the Hive, the live and neutral wires from the EHE0200361 go to the corresponding terminals at the Hive receiver. The black wire in A goes to Hive terminal (1) 'Common' and the green/yellow wire in 'B' goes to Hive terminal (3) 'Heating on'

It's not good practice to use a green / yellow wire as a live conductor, which as you have noticed leaves you without an earth wire. However, there is no earth connection required by the Hive it is double insulated. The tether provided on the Hive backplate is just there to park it out of the way if there is one.

Thanks that's what I thought.. Green and yellow are earth cable colours. What colour should the switched live be out of interest? I will put some tape around the cable.

Looks like it already has either a bit of brown sleeving or tape added by the original installer to identify it as a live. That's better than some do, but it's still not good practice to use an earth wire for any purpose other than as an earth. It's OK to use a neutral as a live provided that it has a brown sleeve on to identify it, tape on the other hand is not good practice as it can fall off.

Brown is usually used to identify a live, permanent or switched, but obviously with multicore cables other colours have to be used, because if there were more than one brown wire in a single cable you wouldn't know which was which at the other end.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I will have a go at installing the thermostat tonight.

For the single channel version of the Hive, the live and neutral wires from the EHE0200361 go to the corresponding terminals at the Hive receiver. The black wire in A goes to Hive terminal (1) 'Common' and the green/yellow wire in 'B' goes to Hive terminal (3) 'Heating on'
Sorry to bump. I have a similar set up but I have the dual channel version of the Hive with no Common. Should I connect A to Heating off and B to Heating On?

The dual channel version of the Hive is for systems with stored hot water (hot water cylinder) and it replaces an existing programmer that has hot water and heating time control. It doesn't replace the thermostat.

The single channel version of the Hive is for combi boilers, that produce hot water instantaneously and don't have a hot water cylinder. Then it does replace the thermostat

So either you have the wrong product, or you have the right product and are trying to install it in the wrong place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back