Hive dual receiver wiring issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I would be very grateful if anyone can help me with my issues. Perhaps not the personal issues :mrgreen: but maybe my Hive wiring issues:)

I'm not too bad with wiring and have tried to install the Hive hub/receiver and thermostat myself. My current system is a Megaflow/Worchester boiler with a Honeywell controller and thermostat. Everything works as it should and have no issues and if need be I could re-wire everything back as was before.

My current issues is that the boiler won't fire up when Hive calls for the heating, I can see the thermostat is saying the heating is on. And the receiver with the heating green light on but the boiler does not fire up. The hot water works all fine on schedule and on boost with boiler firing up.

I suspect it is the wiring when I replaced the controller that I have got wrong and would really appreciate some help. Please note the original wires used were 4 core so a lot of redundant grey wires.

Firstly my boiler room looks like this.

Original Honey Controller below. I didn't label the wires when I took the picture but labeled if before I took it apart.

Honeywell Controller wiring diagram

Hive Wiring diagram for Dual Receiver

My current wiring with Hive Controller

You can see the wires that go to the original thermostat (through) the wall to a nearby location and this was how it looked before I replaced it with the Hive thermostat

From left to right I installed Neutral & Live. There was no wires on the original Honeywell controller for pin 1(HW Off) and 2(CH Off) so it was left on Hive.

I connected HW On onto 3. I then connected CH On onto 4.

When I went to disconnect the original thermostat I found that 4 was from the thermostat. The other wire went to N. So I disconnected both of these. The result is the picture of the Hive controller above.

I suspect the issue is that nothing is connected to 4? Do I need some link wire? Or does an extra wire need to be run from 4 to the junction box? I think how it works at my house is that there is a large junction box which is protected by a 3A, this connects everything together from the boiler/valve and controller. You can see the white junction box bottom left by the 3 port valve on my boiler room picture.

Amy help appreciated! I can obviously hire a tradesman (and happy to pay) but I would rather learn how things work and should work in my house.

Thanks Guys

Sponsored Links
In your first picture you have got what looks like 2 grey wires in a connector.
Or was it the black wire to the grey from the thermostat?
Which ever was the one that is not going to the thermostat connect to number 4 on the Hive.

Last edited:
That big white thing in your pic is not a boiler it is an unvented Hot water Cylinder, you need a wire into terminal 4 on your hive to bring the heating on and you need to disconnect and by-pass the original thermostat, you really should get a pro in , you do not know what you are doing

That big white thing in your pic is not a boiler it is an unvented Hot water Cylinder, you need a wire into terminal 4 on your hive to bring the heating on and you need to disconnect and by-pass the original thermostat, you really should get a pro in , you do not know what you are doing

Apologies if my post was rather long and perhaps confusing.

I never stated the big white thing was my boiler, I said it was my boiler room. The Worcester boiler is top left and you cannot see it in the picture. Yes its an unvented hot water cylinder.
Yes I know I need a wire going into 4, that is my main question and hence the help.

Yes I have disconnected the original thermostat, I posted the picture so that I could show the original wiring.

Like I said, I don't mind getting a pro in and paying for them but I like to know how things work in my house.

Thanks for your post

Sponsored Links
In your first picture you have got what looks like 2 grey wires in a connector.
Or was it the black wire to the grey from the thermostat?
Which ever was the one that is not going to the thermostat connect to number 4 on the Hive.

Hi John
I think you have cracked it! I had assumed that the grey wires were redundant as they were using a 4 core and had tidied it up by putting both the grey in that connector.
However looking at the old thermostat picture, all 4 wires have been used. The wire from the thermostat to the original Honeywell controller are as follows
Earth is earth, black went to neutral, brown went to 4 and grey went into the connector. Obviously I have disconnected that wire so the remaining grey that is in that connector needs to go into 4? That makes sense.
I will try this tomorrow

Thanks!

Hi John
Just wanted to say thank you, everything working as it should. Tested and tidied up the wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back