HIVE Heating and Hot water setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks- first time poster after some advice before I buy the HIVE heating and hot water.

Currently have a Siemens RWB9 control panel and from initial research it looks like I could just slot the HIVE receiver straight into the existing back plate. Would you agree?

Ive included some pictures of the current setup including my thermostat which has never worked (is this because the blue wire is not connected?)

I've also read threads where advice is to connect red and yellow wires to bypass the thermostat once hive is in place (as I cant trace it back to a wiring box) - is this necessary?

many thanks

Siemens to hive.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum and congratulations on a good clear first post with all the relevant info included.

1. Yes you are correct, the Siemens and Hive backplate wiring is the same.

2. Your old thermostat doesn't have a neutral connection shown on its lid, so the blue wire isn't required anyway. It may just be faulty, or already removed.

3. If the thermostat was still wired in, then it would override the Hive so needs to be decommissioned. If you just removed it, the heating wiring would be 'open circuit' and the heating would never come on, so the switching wires (in terminals 1 & 2) do need to be connected together to let the Hive take control.

Thanks for such a fast reply stem! :)

I was worried that I had labelled the wires incorrectly (as the wiring diagram has that weird crossover bit on 2 & 3) - is there a reason I don't have a CH OFF connection?

So a terminal block to connect the red & yellow (from thermostat) then cover the hole with something appropriate?

and the final double check - I can just slot the hive controller straight over my existing back plate?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Agreed. I think the crossover is a bit hard on the eyes too.

The CH off isn't used, your system doesen't need it, and not all systems use a HW off, only those with a three port motorised valve.

With regard to the swap, generally they fit straight on, but there are rare occasions where the plastic lugs at the top are too big for the new programmer and you might have to swap it over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back