Hive Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've purchased a Hive 2 heating and hot water system (self install) to replace my Hortsmann H27XL and Hortsmann HRT4-B thermostat. I live in a new house with two zones for controlling upstairs and downstairs heating, with separate hot water control via three separate motorized valves. The boiler is a Potterton Promax 24 System with a megaflow hot water cylinder upstairs and a frost sensor. For now I'm only installing Hive on Zone 1 with the intention to add Hive multi zone at a later date (if this is at all possible).

What I'm not sure about is what to do with the wires for the old thermostat on Zone 1? It appears that the wires control the motorised valve, so if I connect them together the valve will be permanently open, or closed if the wires are not connected. Shouldn't Hive be controlling the state of Zone 1's valve as before?

Secondly the dual channel receiver will replace the H27XL, if during the heating ON schedule Zone 1 reaches its temperature, would Hive switch off the boiler thus effectively preventing Zone 2 from heating any further if required?

I've included pics of the wiring for the thermostat and programmer along with my current Hive wiring setup (the grey wire is not used).

prog27XL.jpg hive.jpg therm.jpg

Sponsored Links
from your pictures what programmers are controlling what? You would need to identify your central heating on from the programmer in which you are going to replace with the hive receiver,to your wiring centre an relocate this to both your browns on your central heating zone valves. for both the zones to work from one thermostat as you are not doing multizone yet for them both to work off the one hive thermostat.just hope that one of your programmers is doing hot water an one of the heating zones as this will make life easier.If not would require bit more rewiring an a heating engineer who is confident with it.
*also regarding removing your existing hard wired thermostats make sure you terminate the redundant wires.

Hi SavageW, thank you for taking the time to reply. My current system setup has the one programmer only, which controls both the heating and hot water, the wiring for the Hortsmann H27XL programmer is shown in picture 1. I've attached the wiring diagram for the programmer also. The second picture was after the Hive receiver installation (replacing the existing programmer) and the third of the existing thermostat wiring.

So, from your response I currently have the heating ON connected to pin 4 on the Hive receiver (picture 2 black wire), the heating on black wire would need to be connected to the browns on the central heating values at the wiring centre?

Would it be ok to just have Hive controlling zone 1 and leave the existing thermostat and wiring setup in Zone 2 as is until I decided to add multi zone?

Attachments

• H27ZXL-Installation Instructions(S).pdf
    136.5 KB · Views: 575
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back