Hive install gone wrong

9CK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I volunteered to replace my other half's controller with a Hive Mini, moving the thing in to a more accessible spot in the cupboard. Despite the old Salus controller having a few cross connects in the backplate the new setup seemed very straight forward; there's a mains feed to the receiver and links back to the wiring centre for HW and CH from terminals 3 & 4.

The boiler is a rather old Ideal Elan 2 unit that seemed to be running fine and had recently been serviced and given a clean bill of health. The wiring centre interconnects the pump, two motorised valves, thermostat, controller etc. and nothing in the wiring centre was being disturbed other than the wires from the dual channel receiver. Continuity checks between all the relevant terminals check out OK and the live feed to the wiring centre is good. With the Hive commissioned, calling for hot water or heating has no effect on the boiler; I get 230V on the control wires but the boiler refuses to budge from it's pilot-light slumber. It looks to me like it should be working, I have no idea why it wouldn't be, or what else I can check.

I wasn't entirely certain whether the system is gravity-fed/part pumped (I think it is) but I've tried the Hive receiver in both modes. Am I right in thinking hot water would be the same under both setups, it's just a question of whether HW wire is high for the CH or not?

Sponsored Links
Did you purchase a single channel or dual channel?

With the Hive commissioned, calling for hot water or heating has no effect on the boiler
For hot water, the cylinder thermostat must also be requesting heat - if the water is already hot or the thermostat set too low, nothing will work.

The same applies for any room thermostat, however in that instance the existing room thermostat should be removed and linked, which is the same as setting it to permanently on.

Two motorised valves is a fully pumped system.

• Thanks
Reactions: 9CK
Sponsored Links
For hot water, the cylinder thermostat must also be requesting heat - if the water is already hot or the thermostat set too low, nothing will work.

The same applies for any room thermostat, however in that instance the existing room thermostat should be removed and linked, which is the same as setting it to permanently on.

Two motorised valves is a fully pumped system.
Thanks for clarifying that it's fully pumped.

I appreciate that the thermostats have to be asking for heat; the cylinder is cold (the thermostat has not been tested but was working previously) and the room/remote stat is set to 30. I don't think they are part of the issue.

As soon as I say they're not part of the problem an old room thermostat - that predates the previous controller set- proves to be part of the issue; it was set at 22 and tripped. The boiler now fires for CH - so I know it's not dead - but not water. I'll go over tonight and check the cylinder thermostat.

Now that there's some light at the end of the tunnel I'm more confident of getting to the bottom of things. Thanks everyone for their input.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back