Hive Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

Currently switching the old Horstmann H17 receiver out for a Hive but can’t find any wiring diagrams similar to what I’m looking at.

Can anyone here make heads or tails of this, and help me out on the switch over.

Thanks in advance!

upload_2021-9-11_16-38-12.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Is there a wiring diagram on the back of the cover?

Sponsored Links
The Horstmann H17 is not a receiver, it is a two channel timeswitch, which Hive have you bought ?
Single channel, but I have a combi boiler so I assumed that was what I needed. Would the Hive still be wired into the same location with the Horstmann not being a receiver?

yes of course did you buy a hive single channel or dual channel ?

If you have bought the hive single channel, which is the correct one for your set up its very easy, Lives to lives N to neutrals, Hive doesnt use the earth but gives you a parking terminal for the earths , it is just the same as putting them in a terminal block, the other two wires go into terminals 1&3 in the hive doesnt matter which way round

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
You will find however that the hive terminals are tiny so you might want to make a small junction box to join everything, and only connect single wires to the hive

You will find however that the hive terminals are tiny so you might want to make a small junction box to join everything, and only connect single wires to the hive
Brilliant. Thanks for your help.
By “other two wires” I’m guessing you mean the black and red ones? Are they from the old thermostat?

Brilliant. Thanks for your help.
By “other two wires” I’m guessing you mean the black and red ones? Are they from the old thermostat?
Is that the old thermostat that you forgot to mention you had ? post pics of that and I will tell you what you have to do

Is that the old thermostat that you forgot to mention you had ? post pics of that and I will tell you what you have to do
That’s the one. Can’t currently get a picture, but it’s a Satchwell TLM2253.
upload_2021-9-11_20-37-9.jpeg

you have a choice, either join the two wires at the stat together in a terminal block and insulate or trace them back to the horstmann and remove completely and make a link, (best practice) but either will work

you have a choice, either join the two wires at the stat together in a terminal block and insulate or trace them back to the horstmann and remove completely and make a link, (best practice) but either will work
Might it be the link already at the Horstmann? The brown and red wire?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back