Hive installation help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m looking to replace the old Honeywell thermostat for the Hive.

I’ve got a hot water tank as well as the boiler for CH.

There seems to be two receivers in the airing cupboard. One to control the heating and one for the hot water and just need some advice about joining the two together.

I’ve included the wiring for the old Drayton in a picture below. I’ve taken this off and attached the dual receivers for the hive, the hot water works fine but the heating doesn’t fire up. This leads me to think I have a second receiver for the heating command. It’s a Honeywell DBR91 - is it as simple as wiring the A & B function from the DRB91 to the heating on/off command on the hive? What would I do with the N & L wires?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 0567F4E9-1AEC-41CD-8332-93225790BB00.jpeg
    0567F4E9-1AEC-41CD-8332-93225790BB00.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 94E0FF15-01E2-4A7C-B232-CC8937989359.jpeg
    94E0FF15-01E2-4A7C-B232-CC8937989359.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 227
Sponsored Links
Is the old thermostat turned to max? in the main Hive replaces both the programmer and the thermostat and goes where the programmer was, in the wiring centre one has to remove the old thermostat, however if old thermostat put to max in the main it will work anyway.

Hello,

So I’ve tried to put the new hive onto the picture of the wiring. The hot water fires up but the heating doesn’t.
Do I need to wire the other receiver into the hive?

You say that you originally have two receivers, one for Heating and one for the Hot Water. If you want the Hive to control the heating and the hot water, then of course they must both be connected to the Hive receiver.

You have the dual channel version of the Hive, which is what you need to control both.

Hive.JPG

Ideally the original two receivers and their wiring would be removed and the new Hive receiver wired directly into the junction box. That will solve the problem of the two N & L's

Sponsored Links
Hi Stem,

Thank you. I’ve got the dual channel, so good to go on that front.

The wiring for the highlighted box has a A, B, L & N. I’m happy to wire the A & B to the hive, what would I do the L&N wires?

Ideally the original two receivers and their wiring would be removed and the new Hive receiver wired directly into the junction box. That will solve the problem of the two N & L's

I assume that the two receivers are operating motorised valves, is that correct? I ask because the existing receivers are wired to provide voltage free switching and the Hive Dual Channel can only provide 230V switching.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes I believe I do have two motorised values.

May just go back and upgrade to the Honeywell evohome, that seems the easiest way

If the two existing Honeywell receivers are wired such that the wire from 'B' of each goes to the live of their respective motorised valve (this is common way of connecting it) Then once the Honeywell receivers were removed, the Hive is connected thus:

Hive 2.jpg

May just go back and upgrade to the Honeywell evohome, that seems the easiest way

Indeed you could. There are quite a few Evohome enthusiasts on this forum who would agree.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back