Hive mini install question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking to install a hive mini in place of my Honeywell stat.

I currently have two zones and want to use the hive on the upstairs only.

The current stat has two cables only as it is powered by batteries. I have undone my control box to take a look inside and I can see where the two cables go.

I realise that the Hive receiver will require a L and N Which I can take from within the control centre, but can anyone tell me what to do with the two cables currently used by the Honeywell stat? Will they just stay put in the control box and wire in to the hive ?

Thanks all

Attachments

• 12704871-AF57-4C19-92A2-DB16ED4B5EFD.jpeg
    12704871-AF57-4C19-92A2-DB16ED4B5EFD.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 80
  • F489BD95-8A1C-47F8-8766-E3E2963956B6.jpeg
    F489BD95-8A1C-47F8-8766-E3E2963956B6.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Yes you will need to wire the SL and Common that went to the thermostat, into the receiver unit as well as the power. Be careful in that control box, I can see a few mis-identified (coloured) cables.

Yes you will need to wire the SL and Common that went to the thermostat, into the receiver unit as well as the power. Be careful in that control box, I can see a few mis-identified (coloured) cables.

Thanks mate, which is the SL and whcih is the common ?

Also re the mid colours, are you referring to the grey cables

It's not the clearest but It looks like the blue is the live and the brown is the switched live if that is a brown at the back of the wiring heading into the terminal where the gray's are located.

No the wiring isn't following the colouring standards. Blue should always be neutral, brown always live, green/yellow always earth but there are few in there that haven't been re-coloured to designate what they actually are so it avoids mistakes and mis wiring.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks mate, which is the SL and whcih is the common ?
As above, it looks like, on your existing thermostat, connection A (Brown wire) is the switched live.
Connection B (Blue wire) is the Common.

For practical purposes (if you are taking a separate cable to power the Hive), it doesn't matter which of these wires you connect to terminals 1 and 3 of the (single channel) Hive.

Also re the mid colours, are you referring to the grey cables
No the wiring isn't following the colouring standards. Blue should always be neutral, brown always live, green/yellow always earth
As is often said in the electrics forum - the wires don't know what colour they are supposed to be! :)

The grey and blue wires highlighted, should be sheathed in brown sleeving, to denote they could be Live conductors.

image5.png

And if possible, the cables entering the control box could be tidied a bit, to ensure the cord grip is adequately gripping all the outer sheaths of the cables.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back