Hive multi zone danfoss WB12

Then the Hive / Hives are not controlling the heating, suggesting that one of them is not wired in correctly, or set up properly.

It's difficult because we don't know what you have done. If you can't resolve it, all I can suggest that you remove the Hives, put everything back as it originally was, and then when it is working properly, we can advise from the beginning on how to install the Hives.

Confirmed my suspicions. I've only wired the one in by the boiler. It's a danfoss ts715si, I've obviously mistakenly assumed it was a straight swap for the hive dual channel receiver. Do you have any ideas on how it should be wired in?

Sponsored Links
The 715Si is a simple, single channel timeswitch. So there's nothing dual about it! The dual channel Hive provides control of one heating zone and stored hot water. But you haven't actually said what the 715Si is/was controlling? Upstairs heating? downstairs heating? Upstairs and downstairs heating? Hot water?

There are many ways to wire up heating systems depending upon the layout of your property, the different components used and the personal preferences of the installer. No one will be able to assist unless you give a full description of all of the components in your system and what they are doing.

I'm guessing from what you have said now, that maybe the 715Si is controlling just the hot water on / off times, and that you will also have two separate programmable thermostats each with time and temperature control for the two separate heating zones. If so, it is not an easy task to install the Hive it will need considerable rewiring to bring one of the heating zones and the hot water together to a dual channel hive, and then use a second Hive for the other heating zone. But as I said this is just a guess, only you can tell us......

Stem,

Thanks for your reply, and more importantly your patience!! I have brought the hive from a previous home were the installation was relatively simple!

From what I gather in my new (new build) home, it's a two zone set up. There was/is the dafoss ts751si by the boiler controling the over all set up. Downstairs is one zone plus hot water with a separate thermostat, upstairs is a second zone with another thermostat. By the hot water tank is the aforementioned danfoss tp9000 wiring centre and the two valves.

Hopefully this clears things up? Apologies if IveI come at this problem at bit backwards!

Last edited:
There was/is the danfoss ts751si by the boiler controlling the over all set up.

It is unusual for a single timer to control the hot water on/off times and the two zones of the central heating to the same schedule. In the summer the heating would still be coming on with the hot water.

The idea of the separate heating zones (building regs part L) is to be energy efficient. So that for example, you may set the downstairs heating to be on all day, but the bedrooms just on when you get up and go to bed. If both zones operate on the same time that benefit is lost.

So, usually there if there is a single channel timeswitch, it will be just for the hot water, but there will also be 2 x programmable thermostats that both provide separate time and temperature control for the each of the heating zones. What model are your Danfoss room thermostats?

Sponsored Links
It is unusual for a single timer to control the hot water on/off times and the two zones of the central heating to the same schedule. In the summer the heating would still be coming on with the hot water.

The idea of the separate heating zones (building regs part L) is to be energy efficient. So that for example, you may set the downstairs heating to be on all day, but the bedrooms just on when you get up and go to bed. If both zones operate on the same time that benefit is lost.

So, usually there if there is a single channel timeswitch, it will be just for the hot water, but there will also be 2 x programmable thermostats that both provide separate time and temperature control for the each of the heating zones. What model are your Danfoss room thermostats?

They are TP5000. Yes one in the living room and one upstairs. There are three valves by the hot water tank. Two white ones (zones?) And a third which is definitely something to do with the hot water as I can hear it moving.

The TP5000 is a programmable room thermostat, which means that it provides both time and temperature control. Likely then, the 715Si, will just be for the hot water time control, and the two TP5000's will provide time and temperature control of the heating of the two heating zones.

If that is correct; unfortunately that means, that for you to use the Hive, major rewiring will be required, which would include:

1) Changing the wiring to merge the hot water control from the 715Si, with one of the heating zones from one of the TP500's (usually the downstairs zone) into a dual channel Hive.

2) Adding an additional single channel Hive for the upstairs zone.

To be honest, I don't think that this is a DIY project that can be done over a forum discussion.

Last edited:
The TP5000 is a programmable room thermostat, which means that it provides both time and temperature control. Likely then, the 715Si, will just be for the hot water time control, and the two TP5000's will provide time and temperature control of the heating of the two heating zones.

If that is correct; unfortunately that means, that for you to use the Hive, major rewiring will be required, which would include:

1) Changing the wiring to merge the hot water control from the 715Si, with one of the heating zones from one of the TP500's (usually the downstairs zone) into a dual channel Hive.

2) Adding an additional single channel Hive for the upstairs zone.

To be honest, I don't think that this is a DIY project that can be done over a forum discussion.

Stem,

Many thanks. Lucky It's still a building site, where I live so fingers crossed I can grab an electrician and ask a favour!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back