Hive Nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, been browsing here for answers but struggling to find the correct answer.

I am trying to install a hive dual channel system for hotwater and heating. I had a look beforehand as a fairly confident DIYer. This job looked like a fairly simple task of installing the programmer to replace my previous drayton unit. I was pretty chuffed with myself when I had all of the system running until I got to removing my current Honeywell T6360B for some unknown reason I believed it would be a straight in and out job until I saw the wires connected to the unit.

After hours of googling around I understand I cant just disconnect the cables and hope it would all work.

Options was to try bridge the two cables which hold and live and live switched which are from pins 1 and 3 on the room stat. Which I have tried with no sucess but I want to do it properly and disconnect the cables just because I have no space to push behind to hide any block/wago connectors.

I'm struggling to isolator these cables i've got the blessings of having a cable toner with a wand which ive borrowed off my mate. I have a wiring centre located in an airing cupboard but i'm just baffled by the amount of cables.

Wondering if theres an easy way of locating these cable to try bridge the who cable points to remove the thermostat from this equation.

Attached as pictures of the thermostat. Behind my programmer there is a block connector which has a 3 core cable with earth which i believe goes back to the room stats but one of the cables goes to pin 4 which if i was to disconnect would the hive from working correctly.

Pleaseeeee help :(
20190125_160218.jpg 20190118_093458.jpg

Sponsored Links
You are correct, the thermostat can't just be disconnected otherwise the heating wiring will be 'open circuit' and the heating will not work. So,

T6.JPG

From the above diagram:

The wire in terminal 1 of the thermostat is live
The wire in terminal 2 of the thermostat is neutral
The wire in terminal 3 of the thermostat is the switched live

Trace the thermostat cable back to its origin, and test it with a multimeter to make sure that you have the right one.
Note where the wires presently connected to the thermostat terminals 1 & 3 are connected
Disconnect the thermostat cable and remove it
Insert a wire to link where the wires going to 1 and 3 have just been removed from to complete the circuit

It's quite possible that the wire in terminal 4 of the Hive (Heating on) does goes straight to the live of the thermostat. But unfortunately how and where the thermostat was originally connected would have been at the discretion of the original installer, and there are quite a few possibilities.

However, there is a bit of a puzzle.
Options was to try bridge the two cables which hold and live and live switched which are from pins 1 and 3 on the room stat. Which I have tried with no sucess
If you linked the wires in 1 and 3 together, that should have done the trick.

I can't see how the wires are at the Hive receiver are connected, it looks like terminals 3 & 4 might be joined together by the orange wire, which if so, is totally wrong, but I'm guessing that it's the camera angle that makes it look like that.

Last edited:
You sir are a legend! I tired the connector block once again with the 1 and 3 pair cable and it worked a charme just feel alittle paranoid of leaving a live wire in the wall. I've connected it to a connector block and used insulation tape to insure its okay but i may just stick a dry lining 1 gang box in and just have it in there

Sponsored Links
Glad it's sorted. (y)

It's not good wiring practice to a live cable hidden in a wall without an accessory below to draw attention to its presence. In addition terminals should be contained inside an enclosure. So, a 1 gang box with a blanking plate over it to house them would be a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back