Hive or Nest to Potterton Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Statesman Oil Boiler combined with Potterton PRT100 thermostat, we wish to change to an intelligent thermostat but we are not sure if any are compatible with our system of 1998 vintage. Can anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
if you have a room stat running it already then it should be pretty straight forward. The new "Smart" stats are just on off switches same as your existing stat. The only difference is you can turn that switch on and off remotely and the stat will learn behaviors and flick the switch itself.

They can be used with oil fired boilers, but of more importance is what is the boiler connected to? If you have a 'Y Plan' or 'S Plan' system with a programmer and motorised valves, the Nest Heatlink and Hive Receiver replace the programmer, and the existing wired room thermostat is removed and its wiring bypassed.

With the newer Combi boilers that only have a single programmable thermostat for the control of the heating then you can replace an existing thermostat with the Nest Heatlink or Hive Receiver as Jadele states. But if you also need hot water control which I believe you probably do, there isn't any wiring for that at the existing thermostat.

For future reference the Plumbing & Central Heating, or Electrics UK sections would have been a better place for you to post your question. This section is for information relating to the operation of the forum, so you might find the moderators move it.

Sponsored Links
btw there's more than just Hive & Nest. There's Salus (basic) & Honeywell evohome (which offers even greater control of your heating/hot water). But at the end of the day, how they connect to boilers is pretty much the same.

if you have a room stat running it already then it should be pretty straight forward. The new "Smart" stats are just on off switches same as your existing stat. The only difference is you can turn that switch on and off remotely and the stat will learn behaviors and flick the switch itself.

Are you sure about that?

Jon

I have the same boiler as yours. I have installed Nest 3rdGen Thermostat. It works great, I can control both my hot water and central heating smartly..

I use a nest 3rd gen, and was considering hive as well at the time, but I went for nest as it's owned by Google and hive is something British gas has created. I think if updates firmware are needed the power of Google will get them out much quicker and much more likely to be always online. With nest you only have a heatlink connected to the boiler and the nest thermostat, with hive you need something to connect to the boiler something else to plug into the broadband router as well as hive display, hive display it battery powered and reviews I read it eats battery's for fun but the plus is its wireless and can be placed anywhere. Nest is mains so really needs a plug socket unless you are putting it where your existing thermostat is and wiring it in.
They are both similar in price so it's really down to personal choice on the looks as they both do the same thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back