Hive receiver wiring with two sets of wires from Boiler & Fuse switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hii advice needed,
I am wiring in a hive receiver for my Sister on her combi boiler to replace the existing thermostat and receiver. The wiring in the first picture is how it is wired in at the moment. It appears to be wired from the boiler and the fuse switch. Would somebody please advise which terminals to use in picture 2 of the hive terminals if using both 3 core flex.
Many thanks
Jason

Attachments

• IMG_5467.png
    IMG_5467.png
    947.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0410.jpeg
    IMG_0410.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
On the hive terminals I put Brown to Live, Blue to Neutral on the lower core flex,
Then Earth to earth and Live to (1) common on the second core flex, but the boiler will not come on but the receiver does when paired with the thermostat ?
Should the second core live go to (3) on the hive then ?

Then Earth to earth and Live to (1) common on the second core flex, but the boiler will not come on but the receiver does when paired with the thermostat ?
Should the second core live go to (3) on the hive then ?
Close :) . That wire is a green/yellow wire, it isn't an 'earth', it's being used for switching for the boiler.
The twisted together brown and yellow/green wires should be connected to terminals 1 and 3 on the Hive backplate.

For the cable coming from the FCU, yes connect Blue to N and Brown to L.
The green/yellow earth cable has been cut short - this should really be connected to the earth terminal on the backplate.

Sponsored Links
I after some help if possible?! This looks similar to what I have but wanted to make sure. I think i know where to put the L and N wires but it's the other Grey wire that is confusing me as unsure what it is and where it needs to go! Help appreciated!
P.s the current reciever has a fuse switch which I am guessing this connect to??

Attachments

• 20240118_190152.jpg
    20240118_190152.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 49
It's impossible to say without tracing the grey wire back to find out what's on the other end of it. Heating systems are like people, all different :giggle:

However, assuming the wiring worked correctly with the BDR91 connected, provided you keep the same configuration as it is now, it will work with the Hive. The BDR91 is a simple on/off switch and so is the Hive. From an electrical point of view they do exactly the same thing and you are swapping like for like.

So to install a single channel Hive keep the wires exactly as they are. As there are two blue wires make sure you mark which is which, it wouldn't be good if you got them transposed.

BDR91 N = Hive N (blue)
BDR91 L = Hive L (brown)
BDR91 A = Hive 1 COM (brown)
BDR91 B = Hive 3 HTG ON (blue & grey)

I see you are new to the forum so for future reference you should have started your own new thread. Tacking yours on to someone else's is known as Hijacking and is against forum rule 6.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the very detailed reply and advice, as far as hijacking! I wasn't aware, as you mentioned it's my first post. In other platforms you get killed for asking a new similar question and get told to essentially hijack someone else's post so not to repeat similar questions but will be sure to start a new thread going forwards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back