Hive Receiver Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am looking to install Hive on my Combi boiler. I have an existing fused spur next to the boiler which was previously used for something else and is no longer used. For neatness I was planning to use this to supply the Hive receiver, instead of running a cable from the boiler for mains supply. Does anyone see an issue with this?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, just to add. I will then just run 2 core from the Reciever common and N/O for switching.

It will work but for safety's sake the Hive receiver should be powered from the same switched supply as the boiler. Otherwise, for example, someone may switch off the boiler supply and assume the Hive wiring is safe.

Thanks Jackthom,
Although the hub won't send power to the boiler without the COM being supplied by the boiler... Therefore the boiler wiring is still safe? It would just be the hub that is physically live.

Sponsored Links
Don't do that it's not safe.
You've got to run a cable into your boiler anyway.
If anything it's more difficult and putting anyone working on the system in future in danger

The industry procedure when separate supplies are involved is that each part is very clearly labelled with a warning.

But of course in your case there is no need for separate supplies as you already have a mains supply inside the boiler which you can use.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back