Hive Receiver Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im looking to replace my Honeywell thermostat with Hive Heating 3. I have a Worcester Greenstar 35CDi and am confused about the wiring of the Receiver that connects to the Boiler. I have seen on line some diagrams that indicate that there needs to be a link wire between the Permanent Live connection (L) and common connection (1). Is this correct, the hive wiring diagram doesn't mention this.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
First of all, the easy bit, the Hive requires connection to the same 3A fused 230V supply as the boiler to provide N & L for its operating power.

Then, terminals 1 and 3 are simply an on/off switch (think of them as being like a light switch) So, when the Hive is 'on' the terminals are connected together electrically, and when its off, they are isolated.

Terminal 1 is used for a Live Supply and there is the option here to either take a wire from the Ls (Live Supply) boiler terminal to provide this, or alternatively terminal 1 can be connected to the Hive L instead. (hence the link that is sometimes used) The result is exactly the same either way. you get a live supply to terminal 1.

Terminal 3 is then connected to the Lr (Live return) terminal at the boiler.

Some boilers require the sealed combustion chamber to be opened to access the wiring terminals if this is the case with yours its not a DIY job as there are safety checks that need to be done by an RGI. Sorry, I can't remember if this applies to yours or not.

Is your boiler a Combi or non-Combi version of cdi?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Stem and CBW.

Sorry Typo the Greenstar is a 38cdi not 35.

Does anyone know if this boiler requires a sealed combustion chamber to be opened to access the wiring terminals?

I would say it does, the classic does, so it’s likely yours does too. It’s not the combustion chamber, it’s the combustion circuit, so basically it can affect the combustion process.

It might be possible to remove the wires from the existing Honeywell thermostat and reroute them to the Hive without touching the boiler wiring at all. If you can provide details of the existing room thermostat (model) and what wires are in what terminals, then someone will be able to advise further.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back