Hive replacing Horstmann installation advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending to replace my ailing Horstmann C27 heating and hot water controller with a Hive. As will be apparent from the following I am not a sparky! However I do enjoy a safe fiddle for DIY satisfaction (and cost saving). Hence my queries:

My present controller Horstmann backplate is wired, N Blue, L Brown, 3 White, 4 Black. Nothing is connected in terminals 1 and 2 (the “off” terminals). After a protracted googling I suspect I will never get my head around the concept of NC and NO terminals, so all I need to know is what should go in the 1 and 2 terminals?

Second question is do I just disconnect the soon to be redundant Horstmann wireless thermostat receiver or do I have to join wires together? It has four wires going to a junction box: Black, White, Blue and Brown. Do I bridge Black and White or just tear the whole thing out?

Huge thanks in advance for any answers.

Sponsored Links
prob hw on , ch on, you need to connect switch live and common wires that go to the thermostat and make neutral safe on its own. If you are leaving it on the wall then just put common and n/o together and leave the rest as is.

By an Evohome instead, greatly superior unit. Hive was one of the last on the market, all the ingenuity and budget went on advertising.

Sponsored Links
Not really an equal comparison in cost or abilities. I've had Hive for a couple of years now, dont remember much else about at the time?, def. nest, wave and that lot came later.

Heatmiser, Evohome, Hometronic, all pre-dated Hive, amongst others.

Heatmiser, Evohome, Hometronic, all pre-dated Hive, amongst others.

I can remember evohome being launched in the uk and I know I already had Hive fitted then so it was definitely later. I thought evohome replaced hometronic as that was something to do with honeywell aswell. Not that it matters as presumably the op has what he requires.

Thanks for all the input. I know there are other, possibly better, products out there. I also know British Gas will install a Hive. However I would prefer to DIY it, if I can get a definitive walk through of the connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back