Hive self install (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at replacing a Drayton Digistat RF system with a Hive. Because of the £70 price difference and to save having to wait in for an engineer I'm looking at doing it myself. The wiring for the two devices looks as if it will be a straight swap out, even using the same backplate for the receiver.
Hive on the left, Drayton on the right:

Snip20171105_1.png
Snip20171105_2.png

Can anyone tell me if I'm correct in this assumption?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Snip20171105_1.png
    Snip20171105_1.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 502
  • Snip20171105_2.png
    Snip20171105_2.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 308
Sponsored Links
Yes it is just a straight swap you can even reuse the existing backplate.

A quick footnote. I was able to use the same backplate, didn't even need to swap the cable, Hive just clipped on. One (hopefully) small point, there was no wire going to terminal 2, the 'off' connection. Doesn't seem to affect the operation in any way so I've just accepted it.

Sponsored Links
There shouldn't be any connection to the off position, your system doesn't need it.

That's what I had assumed, many thanks for confirmation.

hi - i'm currently looking at changing to Hive and just wanted to clarify what you meant where you didnt need to change the backplate...what exactly did you need to do?

and did you purchase the Hive Active Heating rather than the one with hot water?

Hi, the backplate for the existing Drayton SCR controller, the box connected to the boiler, was almost identical to the one provided with the Hive. Two screws on the base loosen and the front of the unit lifts up and removes. The 5 connectors along the top edge are identical on each unit, there were only the 3 wires as mentioned in my previous posts, so not too confusing, and the Hive simply plugged back in, tighten screws and that's it. I'm guessing this is a standard that has been adopted on newish systems, the original unit is less than a year old, this was it:

Snip20171119_1.png

I only needed the Active Heating Hive as it is a combo boiler.

Note, when I say 'almost identical', rather annoyingly the Hive backplate has a couple of extra bits of plastic which would stop the Drayton controller plugging in directly if I was going the other way (Hive to Drayton) but a quick bit of work with a small saw and have now passed on the old unit - result.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back