Hive V1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a hive v1. My system already has a wireless thermostat. On trying to instal I found that I had only 4 wires on the old system and on the new hive I need 5. One of the terminals is named as common. Common what, live or neutral?
Could anyone pleas help me?

Sponsored Links
Common is a switch term. It is common terminal that does not change state.

If you do not understand electrical connections, would advise you seek priffesional help else circuit MIs wired could cause expensive damage

If you send us the details of your existing thermostat (make & model) and a photo of the wires connected to it, someone will probably be able to advise you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this response I will take some pictures tomorrow and see if I can get them on line. The wireless thermostat is a Danfoss and the boiler is a Vaillant ecoTEC plus.
Thank you for your interest.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 169
Yours appears quite an easy installation and shouldn't be to difficult to swap over because the Danfoss is already a programmable thermostat which combines time and temperature control, so there isn't any time control built into the boiler to remove or disable. From your photo the thermostat looks like a Danfoss TP5001.

My system already has a wireless thermostat.
As it is a wireless thermostat, it is an RF variant and the control wires should be terminated at a Danfoss RX1 receiver (see picture below). If your receiver is an RX1, then you can proceed as below.

Danfoss TP5001 wireless thermostat and RX1 receiver

TP5001 and RX1.jpg

I found that I had only 4 wires on the old system
With 4 wires at the receiver, the wiring terminals used should be as below. However, if yours is different, or your thermostat is not a TP5001 RF with a RX1 receiver, don't proceed and post back with details of what you do have. The RX1 terminals allow the four wires to be identified as follows:

Danfoss RX1 Receiver
Terminal N = Permanent Neutral wire
Terminal L = Permanent Live wire
Terminal 2 = Common wire
Terminal 3 = Heating 'on' wire

As you have a combi boiler, you require the Hive single channel receiver, to replace the Danfoss RX1 receiver. The wires should be reconnected to the corresponding Hive terminals that have exactly the same functions as the Danfoss ie:

Hive Single Channel
Permanent Neutral wire = N terminal
Permanent Live wire = L terminal
Common wire = Terminal 1
Heating 'on' wire = Terminal 3

I found that I had only 4 wires on the old system and on the new hive I need 5.
I'm not sure why you think you need 5 wires for the Hive though. If you are referring to a separate earth wire, the Hive does not need an earth connection, but there is a tether to park it if one is present.

Note of caution: Some installers will use a green / yellow wire as one of the circuit conductors and not an earth. If you have a green / yellow wire going to one of the RX1 receiver terminals listed above, it is not an earth.

Last edited:
Hi all you helpers out there,
Here are the pictures of the controller that's in and a drawing from the hive v1 book.
Hope these help you help me.
Thank you all.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 299
Thanks for the extra photos. That confirms my previous post. The wiring and receiver are as expected. As long as you have purchased the Single Channel version you may proceed as I said. Let us know how you get on.

So; basically all you need to do is move the white wire from terminal 2 to terminal 1. The others stay the same.

The two blue wires = Hive N
The two brown wires = Hive L
The white wire = Hive 1
The black wire = Hive 3

Edit: Take the opportunity to tidy up the connections so that there is not so much copper on show or wire whiskers poking out from the terminals.

Last edited:
Hi Stem,
Having read your post it was obvious enough what to do. Why do people try to make things more difficult than they are. I have completed your instructions and the system is up and running. Thankyou so much for your help on how to make things simple.
I live in Leeds and I owe you a drink.
Have included a picture for you to see that I have tidied the wires up, for safety and it looks better.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 391
Grand Job well done. Looks very professional. Pity the backplane didn't come with some cable clamps.

Talking of making things complicated, after reading my first post it was an extremely protracted way of saying move the white wire from 2 to 1.:confused:

But in my defence, at that time I hadn't seen the wiring confirmation that your photos provided.

Hi Stem,
Thanks, it's working beautifully just like you directed. Will think of you when it clicks in and out for year to come.
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back