HIVE - wired thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picked up a Hive Heating and Hot water set (self install) from Amazon pretty cheaply (£80).

Current Heating and hot water timer is a UP2, should this be a pretty straightforward swap for the timer - i managed to swap from a UP1 to a UP2 previously?

Also existing thermostat is wired, i don't really want to start messing about with this so am i right in thinking that if i simply crank that up to Max/30 then the Hive thermostat will operate OK? - removing it seems a bit pointless as its on a patterned wallpapered wall in dining room and would be looking to have Hive thermostat in a different location.

Appreciate any tips/info?

Sponsored Links
By "Hive Heating and Hot water set" I assume you mean the dual channel version of the Hive, in which case what you suggest would work. You will have to be careful no one inadvertently moves it, and if it's a battery operated thermostat, you will still need to maintain the batteries.

It's not a big job to wire the old thermostat internally to override it, so if it is moved or the batteries go flat it won't matter. If you want to do this post back details of it (make/model)

Seem to remember same connections on both, so should be easy swap, as to original thermostat yes set to max, as to Hive, not found anyone using one, but it would seem you can set to min, and the Hive TRV will control the heat.

I would love to get some one to confirm that works? But web site says the Hive TRV sends a demand for heat so the wall thermostat/programmer switches on boiler for 1/2 hour each time it gets a demand, so really does not matter where the wall thermostat is fitted, could fit it outside, as the Hive TRV controls room. Well not really outside it would be too cold, but the wall thermostat only sets the minimum temperature for the room, max is controlled by the TRV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back