Hive wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Vaillant EcoTec combi boiler currently using a Center (Honeywell) thermostat and I was going to install a Hive home I've bought. I wondered if I have got the wiring correct; picture is my current receiver, diagram is how I plan to wire it into the Hive receiver. Also, currently there are two earth cables tucked behind, do I need to do anything with them like put them in the earth tether terminal or just leave them alone?

Thanks.

Diagram-01.png

Sponsored Links
Your wiring diagram is for a two-channel Hive, but for a combi boiler you need a single-channel Hive. Are you sure you have the right one?

@muggles is quite right. For a combi boiler you should have the single channel version. What you propose won't work and if the grey and black wires are presently connected to the boilers 24v thermostat terminals, what you propose will put 230V on them, with possible disastrous / expensive results.

The BDR91 Receiver should be replaced with a Single Channel Version of Hive, and wired like this.

SCH.png

The earth tether is there for your convenience, you can use it or leave the earth wires as they are. Provided that they are securely and safely connected.

Last edited:
@muggles and @stem . Thank you so much for your replies and also the revised diagram! I grabbed the wrong screenshot from Google, not noticing the tabs notes were different at the top. I do have a single channel version for combi boilers. Here is a photo of the front of the receiver which I think is the easiest way to confirm.

IMG-20200925-085242.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yep, that's the single channel version. You know what you have to do now :)(y)

It will work with the grey and black wires as you have drawn it, but convention is that Hive (1) is the common connection which corresponds to 'A' on your existing thermostat.

Thanks for the help @stem , I managed to wire it up yesterday and thought I'd add a photo in case anybody else come across this thread. Heating/hot water and all the app functions correctly so I think I got it right!

IMG-20200927-180726.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back