Hive wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bit u sure on how to wire my hive controller, I have an oil fired boiler with a hot water tank. The heat alway bring the water on so I believe it is gravity fed for hot water and pumped for heating. Current wiring shown below.
upload_2020-12-13_19-8-19.jpeg

upload_2020-12-13_19-8-47.jpeg

There is currently no wires to either Heat or water off.
Hive wiring below.
upload_2020-12-13_19-14-56.jpeg

grateful for any advice TIA

Sponsored Links
The links shown dotted between Live 2 ( common for HW ) and 5 ( common for CH ) in your image are connected to Live internal in the dual channel Hive.

The commons are not brought out to the terminals
0x56.jpg

Thanks you for the response so looks like I just connect the HW and CH on wires to the appropriate Terminals then?

Yes, just swap over the wires from the terminals of the existing Horstmann programmer to those at the Hive that have the same function; like for like. You can ignore the link wires shown in dotted, Hive has these made for you internally already.

If your system does have gravity circulation of hot water, and only pumped central heating then the Hive should be set to ‘gravity-fed’ mode as follows:

1 Switch off the power to the boiler and receiver.
2 Wait at least 5 seconds, then switch the boiler and receiver back on.
3 Press and hold the hot water button for at least 10 seconds.

The receiver status light will show BLUE when entering ‘gravity-fed’ mode. [it shows GREEN for ‘fully pumped’ mode]

If you have a room thermostat wired in somewhere, that should be set to maximum so that it doesn't interfere with the Hive. Or alternatively it can be removed and a small wiring mod made to complete the circuit. It can't be just disconnected.

Sponsored Links
Perfect advice thank you both wired in a treat. Setting the hub up was a different matter but 10th reset was the charm! Thanks again for the wisdom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back