Hive Wiring questions

Yes the whole system needs replacing.

The overflow from the tank ( grey pipe ) seems to be not connected to a drain. If ( when ) the tank overflows the water will be coming through the ceiling.

There does not appear to be a lid on the tank. Debris ( and maybe dead animals / birds ) can get into the water in the tank.

upload_2021-4-13_10-27-57.png

Sponsored Links
It actually goes into the one underneath which them goes to the outside, again not a great job as you can see. Cowboy builders could do a full season on this house alone lol

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_210332.jpg
    IMG_20210412_210332.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210412_210327.jpg
    IMG_20210412_210327.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 44
Some serious issues there that need sorting quickly. Has your landlord done the required annual Legionella Risk Assessment?

Our landlord doesn't even get our boiler serviced. He lives abroad and the estate agents who we deal with is an absolute nightmare

Sponsored Links
It actually goes into the one underneath which them goes to the outside,

I did the same with my overflows but with my cold water overflow going into the header tank for the heating system.

Also your lower tank appears to be collapsing under the weight of wood resting on it.

Cowboy builders could do a full season on this house alone lol
Looks like they already have.

As Stem has said this needs sorting urgently for the safety of people and the property.

I feel like just contacting an oil/gas registered business and getting them to do the work and sending the invoice to the landlord, because legally speaking he needs to do it?

Our landlord doesn't even get our boiler serviced. He lives abroad and the estate agents who we deal with is an absolute nightmare
EPC certificate and Legionella Risk Assessments are not optional, they're the law. Ask the letting agent to provide you with copies. They should have done so already. From 2020 they should have also carried out a Electrical Installation Condition Report [EICR] as well.

I'm guessing that you don't have mains gas supply, otherwise you could add Gas Safety Certificate to the list.

Maybe not. Whilst both documents are from the UK government, the EICR document does say "Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) regulations 2020" The "Guide for tenants: Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018" isn't specific.

Regardless of the law, it's neither decent nor courteous for a landlord to rent out a property in that condition.

Thank you all so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I will post an update when it's all sorted but it's definitely not a DIY job lol

Yes saw the Willis system so thought it would be Ulster. Never seen it used in mainland UK. The Willis system heat the tank from the top down, very clever system, so the longer it is left one the more hot water you get, but you get hot water within minutes of being switched on.

I know it has been adapted for using solar energy.
upload_2021-4-13_11-52-0.png
This shows the idea of the Willis system, but I live in North Wales so not dealt with this system. I really don't know how it connects with central heating.

I have a DHW thermo syphon systems, with two pumps and two motorised valves, so simply looking at the valves is not enough to work out what you have, the so called C plan has so many variations and these are all C plan diagram2-old2.jpg diagram2-old.jpg diagram2.jpg with the first there is only time to control DHW summer and winter it will reach the temperature of boiler output in fullness of time, the next allows in the summer to limit hot water temperature but no winter control so in the summer boiler only runs when required the last uses a motorised valve so hot water temperature can be controlled summer and winter, and they are all called C plan.

The the first system it runs the pump and boiler for central heating and DHW and only boiler for DHW only, and the programmer has a mechanical lock so you can't select central heating only. but the programmer and the thermostat are two independent items, with Hive they are combined, so this
C-Plan_old2.jpg
is original and Hive can do the same if room thermostat is removed and terminals 4 and 5 bridged, but electricians and plumbers don't always use same diagram so with yours it may not be 4 and 5.

But this is still C Plan C-Plan_old.jpg now a cylinder state has been added. It only helps in the summer. And this C-Plan.jpg is also C Plan, and not started to look at how the Willis system works with it.

I would personally not touch it, it is up to landlord to repair or up grade, don't get involved.

We called an expert to call out today so we also have it in black and white that it needs replaced ASAP. With the amount of problems and the grants available we are also going to get him to price up to rip everything out and replace with gas also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back