HMO REGS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm after some info regarding Houses in Multiple Occupation, we're renovating a large building which has 4 separate flats in, each flat has its own bathroom/kitchen etc, nothing is shared... all the electrics will be renewed, so just wondering if we would need to comply with the HMO regs if it came under that. I think there's also a licence that would be required ?!

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm after some info regarding Houses in Multiple Occupation, we're renovating a large building which has 4 separate flats in, each flat has its own bathroom/kitchen etc, nothing is shared
What you describe is not an HMO.

An HMO is a house with the facilities shared by a number of tenants.

From that same site linked to above:

What is an HMO

The Housing Act 2004 introduced a new definition of a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). The new definition of ‘What is a HMO’ is detailed and complex, but generally a HMO is defined as a building (house or flat) where two or more households live, comprising of three or more people using the building as their only or main residence, and they share one or more basic amenities, and rent is paid by at least one person for the use and occupation.
There are 2 sets of HMO Management Regulations.

HMO regulations dating from 2006 apply to the majority of HMO's and HMO Regulations introduced in 2007 apply to the ‘Converted block of flats’ type of HMO. These ‘Converted block of flats’ HMOs required their own regulations because of the different tenure and control arrangements in place where flats can be held on leases and are a mixture of owner-occupied and tenanted..

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm after some info regarding Houses in Multiple Occupation, we're renovating a large building which has 4 separate flats in, each flat has its own bathroom/kitchen etc, nothing is shared
What you describe is not an HMO.

An HMO is a house with the facilities shared by a number of tenants.

EFLImpudence, this is how I see it as, yet the explanation of a HMO isn't straight forward as Taylortwocities states!

A house with four (or any number of) separate self-contained flats - i.e a block of flats - is not an HMO.

As above its note a HMO. However you will need a fire risk assessment to enable services to be designed correctly. This will also have a bearing on physical building works as well as flats are normally designated as "stay in place" thus partitions will need to have the correct fire resistance, etc

A house with four (or any number of) separate self-contained flats - i.e a block of flats - is not an HMO.
Indeed - but is that necessarily any consolation? Aren't some of the regulations (particularly wrt fire) for 'blocks of flats' even more onerous than for HMOs?

Kind Regards, John
Edit: I somehow missed Adam's post - but I think he and I are both saying/implying much the same.

John, this is what our electrician is saying, he's not quite sure how to play it, he thinks it doesn't come under HMO, yet in regards to the wiring etc linked with fire alarm he thinks it does as there are new stringent regs/laws
Man I'm confused :confused:

I was replying to:
all the electrics will be renewed, so just wondering if we would need to comply with the HMO regs
which, because it is not an HMO, the answer is no and therefore, ...

unlike an HMO, does not require any electrical consideration other than the Building Regulation Part P.

Other parts of the Building Regulations obviously have to be complied with as well.

I was replying to:
all the electrics will be renewed, so just wondering if we would need to comply with the HMO regs
which, because it is not an HMO, the answer is no and therefore, ... unlike an HMO, does not require any electrical consideration other than the Building Regulation Part P.
Yes, I realised that, but was pointing out that, in view of:
Other parts of the Building Regulations obviously have to be complied with as well.
...in terms of the 'big picture', the regulations (all regulations) might actually be more onerous for a "block of flats" than for an HMO.

Kind Regards, John

I don't know but the OP does not have to comply with the HMO regs.

Presumably the HMO regulations are more onerous otherwise there would seem to be no need for them.

I don't know but the OP does not have to comply with the HMO regs.
If it's not an HMO, I reckon that's a pretty fair statement :)
Presumably the HMO regulations are more onerous otherwise there would seem to be no need for them.
In terms of electrics, yes. However, it sounded from the OP as if the work being done will not only be electrical (and I know little about {non-electrical} regs regarding refurbishments of 'blocks of flats'):
...we're renovating a large building which has 4 separate flats in, each flat has its own bathroom/kitchen etc, nothing is shared...

Kind Regards, John

So I first need to establish wether or not the building is a HMO? Would LABC come out for free?

Surely your building works will require LABC anyway? They should provide initial consultation for free.

If it's flats, then you need the correct fire resistance between them (floors and walls). Often two stud walls with a gap between.

You then treat each flat as a separate compartment, providing heats/smokes as you would in a house, interlinked as usual within each flat, not between flats.

You then have a communal fire alarm, with smoke detection throughout communal areas, break glasses on final exits (including in a flat if it has its own access), heat detection in the circulation space in each flat (hallway), sounders to provide correct dba at bed head (85?), which usually means a sounder in each bedroom, lounge, communal area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back