Replace spots with tubelights in kitchen and bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I have a house out on rent at the moment which has to comply with HMO licensing as well as elec regs.

The bathroom and kitchen both have 12v spots in them, with transformers apparently blowing regularly. Rather then pay £40 with each pop of the transformer, i want to replace the spots with tube lights/Fluorescent lamps.

The kitchen has high ceilings, but the bathrooms do not. Someone could quite easily stand in the bath and reach up to the spots at present (prob say it is within zone 1), but the tube would be centralized in the room more likely zone 2.

I would look to have the spots removed completely, and the tube lights required in their place, however my question is, what rating tube lights would i need to install to meet elec regs? (HMO regs I've asked the HMO people to confirm) Looks aren't as important as the safety requirements.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking more along the lines of:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lig...herproof Fluorescent Light/d220/sd2768/p60814

Doesn't look the greatest, but i may need to put two or even three normal lights to give the kitchen enough light - its got very high ceilings! where as i could put one double tube in of the above and it would be more then sufficient for the kitchen. Smaller one for the bathroom would be ok?

Rated as IP65

A standard fluorescent fitting(s) will be okay in the kitchen, just the bathroom I would go for the better protection from moisture.
Which you link seems to to tick your boxes.
what size is the kitchen?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking more along the lines of:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lig...herproof Fluorescent Light/d220/sd2768/p60814

Doesn't look the greatest, but i may need to put two or even three normal lights to give the kitchen enough light - its got very high ceilings! where as i could put one double tube in of the above and it would be more then sufficient for the kitchen. Smaller one for the bathroom would be ok?

Rated as IP65

:eek:

In a house? Errrrruuuuggghhhhhh.

Get some 2D round fittings.

I would be interested to know why the transformer is blowing, we have three 12v down lights in the bathroom. They must be about 12 years old now and still on the original transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back