Ho close should a sink be to electrical sockets.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am just in the process of installing a small wall mounted wash basin in my utility area. My concern is that there are electrical sockets less than 3 feet away from this basin on both sides. I would be very grateful if anyone could let me know of any legal requirements/guidelines/recommendations/etc concerning the closesness of sinks to electrical sockets. If necessary, I can re-site the sockets or replace them with waterproof equivalents.

Many thanks in advance for reading my post and for any help you may be able to offer.

Kind regards

Jon

Sponsored Links
300mm from edge of sink horizontallyand 150mm vertically from worktop if fitted.

Many, many thanks for such a prompt reply JACKC. You have put my mind at rest because I think I am about double the legal minimum (i.e. around 600mm and 300mm respectively).

Your help is very much appreciated!

Kind regards

Jon

You should be aware just for completeness sake that the figures quoted above are not legal requirements but guidelines*, however BS7671 (and while not a legal requirement either is the de-facto standard and you should have a very good reason to go against it) requires electrical equipment to be suitable for the conditions in the location its installed (quite a few bits in it are a bit vague)

*AFAIK they are guidelines by people like the NICEIC and not requirements of BS7671, please correct me if otherwise, anyone

Sponsored Links
I think they're IEE guidelines and are part of Part P. As you say, they're not an actual legal requirement, but are recommended. If, as an IEE guy told me, you have made an 'engineering assessment' of the situation and reckon it's OK to go against the guidelines, then that's OK. This does, however assume you're competent to make such an assessment! Again, more vagueness.

Also, the 300mm 'rule' is from the edge of the sink and draining board, if fitted.

Actually, a minor works job I'm submitting as part of my forthcoming NICEIC assessment has one such contravention: the isolators for the washing machine and tumble dryer are 300mm from the actual sink, but are above the draining board. As the sink is only really used when using the breadmaker, the IEE guy said this shouldn't be a problem - I hope the NIC inspector agrees!

homespark said:
I think they're IEE guidelines
that they may be or they may have originated with one of the schemes either way they are guidelines and nothing more.

and are part of Part P
i'm pretty sure there is no mention of this in either the law itself or the ODPM approved document.

BTW MK do flush mounting kits for thier masterseal stuff, it would be hard to argue that you had to keep those switches away from a sink.

I think I saw the figures in the Electrician guide to Building Regs, but book is at work so can't confirm source. Will post 2morrow if you want a definate source to put your mind at rest.

just because some publisher decides to call a book "the electricians guide to the building regs" does not make that book in any way authoritive.

JACKC said:
I think I saw the figures in the Electrician guide to Building Regs, but book is at work so can't confirm source. Will post 2morrow if you want a definate source to put your mind at rest.

Yes, they're under 'general guidelines' on page 56.
But plugwash is right, they're only guidelines and have no legal basis, unlike actual building regs. Actually, are the building regs statutory? Probably.

So, it seems that you can make your own assessment of where to position sockets near a sink, but you still have to adhere to the basis of Part P which is that it is 'safe' under the particular circumstances. Ultimately, you will hopefully never be held to account for your decision, but if you are, you'd better have good reasons :D .

homespark said:
Actually, are the building regs statutory? Probably.
the building regs themselves are, the "approved documents" from the ODPM are not.

Can't be much left of the building regs once all the approved docs are removed?! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back