Ho would you tackle this wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just like your opinions on how to tackle this wall.

Firstly I'm inclined to want to avoid using plaster board, on account of the building being victorian and I prefer the look, finish of plaster.

This is an internal wall you're looking at here, It seems to have some kind of lime based plaster with some kind of hair mixed into the render. (Not horsehair, its alot softer)

I'm wondering if

A, should use hardwall to fill in the gaps, bringing it flush to the existing plaster.

B, strip it all off and start again, I'd rather avoid doing this on account of how much rubble it creates and not owning a car, makes it a chore disposing of the rubble... If at the end of the day it will create a better job, then so be it..

C:would you use hard wall or a cement/ sand render mix... which between the two works ut cheaper, gives a better base for the scrim.

D.
I was thinking of tackling the timber framing within the walls by cutting strips of plaster board and nailing with Gal clump nails to the timbers. I noticed when stripping the wall, the existing plaster just fell off, & having searched on this forum, understand why...

I've not done this before, I'm a keen learner and if I mess up, well, I'll just have to take it all off and learn the hard way... but I want to give it a go and would very much appreciate learning from those with experience.

Thank you...

Sponsored Links
Firstly I'm inclined to want to avoid using plaster board, on account of the building being victorian and I prefer the look, finish of plaster.
Whether it is a victorian building or a cave is irrelevant, you are going to end up with virtually identical finishes, regardless of method.

...Except that if you try and wet plaster that wall you will have problems with the wood.

Dabbing boards onto the wall, whilst either avoiding the timber with the dabs or pre fixing some 9.5mm to them first, will be a satisfactory solution.

Sponsored Links
Well pointed out Roy. If you don't cover that old dry timber in wall, any plaster you put onto the wall, even with the wire/metal lath over the wood, the plaster will crack where the timber is, that's for certain.

roughcaster";p="2974942 said:
Well pointed out Roy. If you don't cover that old dry timber in wall, any plaster you put onto the wall, even with the wire/metal lath over the wood, the plaster will crack where the timber is, that's for certain.[/quote

R.C. It's the same as rendering a wooden dormer cheek eh? You have to protect the wood form the mortar . But I have known old timber lintols getting clout nails knocked in and getting rendered. ;)

I've also seen old wooden lintols Roy that have been hacked, probably with an old lath axe to form a key ready for plastering. The plaster then gripped onto the hacked/rough bits of timber on the lintol.

Guys, whilst I admire your traditional methods of plastering, it's no accident that the failure of the original plaster-work is centered around the timber, as shown in the image.

Plasterboard will deal with this timber problem easily and economically with little effort.

Guys, whilst I admire your traditional methods of plastering, it's no accident that the failure of the original plaster-work is centered around the timber, as shown in the image.

Plasterboard will deal with this timber problem easily and economically with little effort.

Yes you are right mucka but he said he didn't want to use plaster board ;) ..

Thanks for your replys..

Thanks for the tip on using plasterboard over the timbers...

2nd part re the base render...

should I use a cement sand mix or hard wall, filling in the gaps and meeting the lime based render...

or strip it all off and hardwall it or cement sand mix...

thanks....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back