Hob and Oven off separate circuits?

• Thread starter richsmith2005
  • Start date
R

richsmith2005

We’re putting a kitchen into an old house. It previously had a cooker (with oven and burners in one).

I think we’ve dropped a clanger as we’re half-way into fitting the kitchen and waiting on our separate integrated hob and oven which we’ve already ordered; it’s only now dawned on me that they are probably going to require separate 30Amp protected supplies.

At least, the manual for the hob which I’ve downloaded states:

30Amp protected supply using a switched double pole isolating unit having a minimum 3mm contact separation and a BS6007 3-core cable.

Does this mean hiring an electrician to run a new circuit from the circuit breaker for the hob, or is there another way to do it?

R

Sponsored Links
These are the atings that I've gleaned from the manuals

The hob:
26.1 total amps (min fuse protection rating 30A)

The oven:
Supply connection: 13 A double pole switched fused

taking diversity into account you should be ok putting them on the same cuircuit.

however you will need to fuse down the supply for the oven, that means 2x6mm in the supply terminals of a FCU (one from the cooker control unit and one continuing to the) which won't be fun to wire but should be possible if you are carefull and use a good brand like mk.

Sponsored Links
You will certainly need a dedicated cooker circuit for the hob (most houses have one, usually fused at 32A).

The oven could be run off a socket, especially if you have a socket circuit just for the kitchen. Single ovens, and dual-fuel cookers, are often run off a 13A socket and this is safe as they are usually rated at about 10A.

The oven will usually be OK on a socket ring, unless you have a lot of heavy-load appliances like a washer, a tumble drier, a dishwasher as well as the oven and some electric heaters on the same circuit. If you run three or more such appliances at the same time, they are may trip the MCB.

If you are having a new circuit run, my preference would be for two 32A circuits. Then, if you decide next time to have a double oven, you will have enough power already in place. My preference is not to put both the oven and the hob on the same 32A circuit, since on Christmas day you will probably have them both running flat out, and trip the MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back