separate oven hob wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - i ve read most of the posts i can find on this subject but would appreciate a difinative answer.

just fitted separate 7KW hob above a 3KW oven. The CCU is 16M from the Consumer Unit on 6mm cable with 30amp fuse. Hob/oven is 1m from the CCU. Based on what I have read, I suspect I will now have to run a dedicated radial feed for the oven. very difficult!

However, before I do this i would like some opinions on other suggestions I have read

1- connect oven to the kitchen ring circuit - kitchen has dishwasher, washing machine, kettle, cooker hood, fridge
2 - install small Cons Unit fed from existing CCU with separate protection for each appliance
3- if I install new feed what cable size/fuse would I need
4- there is a separate 45amp MCB in the elec cupboard that was used for a shower that has since been taken out. - could i use this ?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
option 1 is fine remember to use either a plug and socket or a fcu and not just wire teh oven directly to the ring also you may get neusense tripping on the ring if you are using two many appliances at once

option 2 is ok but you may have neusense tripping if you are running both at full power

if you install a new cuircuit you should use 2.5mm cable on a 16A breaker
you may wan't to use 6mm though in case you wan't to upgrade to a double oven later

Isn't option 1 pushing it a bit though. The oven and kettle are often used at same time, so if the washing machine is used as well the ring is overloaded isn't it?
You would fit a 3kw immersion on it's own circuit so why not a 3kw oven.

Sponsored Links
a little maybe depending on the rating of your kettle

but in real life its unlikely to cause any trouble because they won't all be pulling full power together for very long

btw people put immersion heaters on their own cuircuit because the wiring regs say to ;)

in a house where direct heating is used a lot there may be a need for it but for an immersion used very occasionally when the gas bouler breaks down i see it as just another burocratic restriction

Ok but I wasn't suggesting it was against regs because I can see you know your stuff. My kettle is 3.1kw and yes, it's not on for long but I do use cold fill for the washing machine . I don't know the rating but must be 2kw min though. I suppose dishwasher is used after oven is off.

ok that is a very high rated kettle ;)

but a small short duration overload is not really a problem anyway

i think it takes a breaker about an hour to trip at 1.5X overload and cables are designed with this in mind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back