Hob recall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'd be very grateful if a gas fitter could answer a question for me.

The beginning of this year I bought a cookology gas hob as part of a planned kitchen tart up. The kitchen was put off till just recently and now it's time to get the hob fitted.

In August I got a letter telling me there was a recall on the hob I'd bought. It needed a new elbow as the original could fail in certain circumstances. British gas would be doing the change and a date was set for the engineer to visit. My hob hadn't been fitted so it wasn't then a problem.

I received another email from B.G telling me they didn't have the part needed and they would contact me when they had it. That was weeks ago and currently we only have a single induction hob to cook on. If I get a gas fitter will he refuse to fit it or could he change the elbow as part of the fitting? Is the elbow a part particular to the make or just a part you can buy anywhere? What I mean is will the gas fitter be able to get hold of a suitable elbow?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
It may be something specific to that hob. Unless it is very clear what elbow it is and what it needs to be replaced with then a GSR wouldn't know what to swap. It may just be the inlet elbow but without knowing the details then it wouldn't be done.

Sponsored Links
I've just checked and I bought it last November. It's still in the box but I doubt they will entertain a return. I might just write it off and buy something else anyway.

Under UK consumer law, you have up to 6 years of protection.

After 6 months you need to prove that that the product was faulty at the point of purchase- in your case the recall is proof that the product is faulty.

I would be inclined to ask for a refund, but if spending X amounts of hours doing a back and forth with them is not commensurate with your time/income, then yeah, bin it. If your labour value/cost arguing about a refund exceeds the cost of a refund, you may be able to take the higher ground but you still end up out of pocket.

It may, however, be the case that you can leave it in the box until the elbow is in stock, purchase a new hob, and then sell the old one as an unused item.

Under UK consumer law, you have up to 6 years of protection.

After 6 months you need to prove that that the product was faulty at the point of purchase- in your case the recall is proof that the product is faulty.

I would be inclined to ask for a refund, but if spending X amounts of hours doing a back and forth with them is not commensurate with your time/income, then yeah, bin it. If your labour value/cost arguing about a refund exceeds the cost of a refund, you may be able to take the higher ground but you still end up out of pocket.

It may, however, be the case that you can leave it in the box until the elbow is in stock, purchase a new hob, and then sell the old one as an unused item.
I think I'd have to get the same hob as the hole for it in the worktop has been cut. I'm going to get in touch with them and ask for a replacement rather than a refund. See what happens.

That makes sense, but if I were the retailer, I would rather that you just waited for a non-chargeable repair...

That makes sense, but if I were the retailer, I would rather that you just waited for a non-chargeable repair...
I bought it off eBay and it looks like I bought it off cookology themselves. I'm guessing they'll have to pay BG but I don't know if that is cheaper for them than replacing the hob.
The wife is currently using a single induction hob that I got off Amazon for £30. It's really good apart from having to buy a couple of new pans. I might get another one then just wait it out till BG get back in touch. I think that's my cheapest and easiest option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back