Hob replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I know this has probably been asked many times before, but when replacing a gas hob with an electric one, and connecting this to an EXISTING cooker control unit via the cooker connection plate further down the wall, can this be done by myself, or does this fall under Part P and therefore must it be done by an electrician?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, it does fall under Part P, as almost all domestic electrical work does in terms of safety. But it's unlikely to be a 'Notifiable' work as described - and not necessarily a job for an 'electrician'.

You need to be reasonably sure that the existing circuit is safe and sound for the new load. That's all.

Lucia.

Hi

Thankyou for your reply, much appreciated.

It is confusing when you look at local authority websites, which say you must contact them in ALL instances, but have just seen on the NICEIC website which shows a table of what is notifiable or not, and this states that you can connect a cooker to an exisiting cooker point and is not notifiable.

So thankyou again.

It is confusing when you look at local authority websites, which say you must contact them in ALL instances, but have just seen on the NICEIC website which shows a table of what is notifiable or not, and this states that you can connect a cooker to an exisiting cooker point and is not notifiable.

I would always advise people to 'speak' to their Building Control Office if they are unsure - they often give good advise on what you can and cannot do.

Sponsored Links
I would never advise anyone to speak to their local Building Control about electrics and Part P. I'd aways advise them to read and understand the actual requirements of the B.Regs and Approved Documents.

LABC have had many years to get used to the simple requirements of Part P, but they still haven't grasped it yet. So each time some hapless householder phones his BC he's still likely to receive conflicting opinions.

I've made a reasonable living from Part P inspections for three Councils over the years, and the more the BCO's recruit my services the more they depend on it. Such is their laziness and shocking waste of public funds.

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back