Electric Hob and Part P again..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

As mentioned before, I'm installing an electric ceramic hob 6.5KW to replace a gas hob. The house was built 7 years ago and I've owned it from new.

To the left of the exisiting gas hob is a regular Cooker Control unit with socket and the oven is connected to this via a cooker cable connector/outlet behind the oven.

To the right of the exisiting gas hob is a MK 32amp with neon Double Pole switch and has a transfer sticker below it 'HOB' and currently supplies power for the gas hob ignition.

Looking at the consumer unit the first MCB is labelled 'HOB' and rated at 32amp, the second MCB is labelled 'COOKER' and is also 32 amp rated. So I thought, great it looks like i've got two 32amp radials to the kitchen which means I can leave the oven connected to the COOKER CCU and connect the new electric 6.5KW hob to the 'HOB' radial at 32amp.

However, on removal of the oven to see the connections behind, sure the oven is hard wired to the cooker cable outlet plate for the Cooker control unit with socket, however the gas hob ignition is supplied via a flex from the hob with a 13amp moulded on plug (3amp fuse fitted) and plugged into a single unswitched socket next to the oven cable outlet. This was confusing as the isolator is definately the 32amp MK double pole switch marked 'HOB'

On removal of the single unswitched socket, it is wired 6mm2 T&E to the 32amp DP switch marked 'HOB' and 6mm2 T&E to the 32amp MCB marked 'HOB' at the consumer unit.

Again, not really a problem as I can easily replace the socket for a cooker cable outlet plate.

My electrician has confirmed the cable size is 6mm2 and checked what I've done is good.

My question is:-

a) I inderstand that connecting a cooker to an exisiting connection does not require notification even though it is in a special location i'e Kitchen, however, does changing the single socket to the cooker cable outlet plate require certifiying and notification under part P ?

b) Why did the builders not simply provide the gas hob ignition from a 13amp spur outlet? ( my electrician has suggested that it is sometimes done today in new house builds to provide two 32amp radials to the kitchen in case of hob/oven upgrades that require larger rated supplies.)

The reason I ask is that my electrcian said that this doesn't require notification because I am simply connecting a cooker to an exisiting circuit and replacing an accessory (i'e the socket plate for a cooker cable plate)

Now I wouldn't normally be this hesitant, but my brother having a degree in electrical engineering, not contracting, was quick to tell me that under part P, you cannot do anything in a special location I'E a kitchen without a certificate and notification to local building control.

Looking at information that I can find such as the NECEIC website kinda confirms my electrcian, however it does state 'Connecting a cooker to an EXISTING connection unit' and replacing a DAMAGED accessory such as a socket or ceiling rose in a special location is not notifiable, but my situation, is, in my mind just a bit different so I'm really not sure.

So who is right, any suggestions???

Sponsored Links
I'm installing an electric ceramic hob 6.5KW to replace a gas hob.
Not the best decision you'll ever make, but there you go...

the gas hob ignition is supplied via a flex from the hob with a 13amp moulded on plug (3amp fuse fitted) and plugged into a single unswitched socket next to the oven cable outlet. This was confusing as the isolator is definately the 32amp MK double pole switch marked 'HOB'
Why is it confusing for the switch marked HOB to isolate the hob?

does changing the single socket to the cooker cable outlet plate require certifiying and notification under part P ?
No - see 1(a) in Schedule 2B.

b) Why did the builders not simply provide the gas hob ignition from a 13amp spur outlet? ( my electrician has suggested that it is sometimes done today in new house builds to provide two 32amp radials to the kitchen in case of hob/oven upgrades that require larger rated supplies.)
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation, and shows good forethought by the builder, who recognised that some people prefer not to have gas hobs for some strange reason.

So who is right, any suggestions???
Your electrician is right.

Your brother is wrong.

NICEIC is unnecessarily confusing.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

Hi Ban-All-Sheds

Thankyou for your reply.

Believe me, I would be sticking to the gas hob if I had a sensible choice, but the gas pipe under the kitchen concrete floor has developed a leak and I just cannot dig the floor up, there is no easy was to re-route a new pipe externally either. I've cooked on both and find a ceramic hob easier to clean but certainly not as responsive and fast as gas, i'm prepared to settle for electric.

I've looked at those building regs, are they up-to-date? They've come up as year 2000 last amended. Didn't they amend in 2005?

the gas pipe under the kitchen concrete floor has developed a leak and I just cannot dig the floor up,
No NHBC 10-year guarantee?

That's unusual.

I've looked at those building regs, are they up-to-date? They've come up as year 2000 last amended. Didn't they amend in 2005?
There have been amending SIs, but none which affect notifiable electrical work.

But it's a poor show that the site is so out of date - if you get a moment please write to them and complain.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou Ban-All-Sheds

NHBC guarantee..... yes ........

Does it cover gas pipework, i'e plumbing, apparently not after the initial 2 years.

It is quoted as such in the booklet, I did call them to check though, along with my house insurers and also the house builder, seems no-one was remotely interested.

I had a roof leak years ago, it took the NHBC over a year to put right! Basically, they don't want to spend out any money if they can help it. That's my experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back