Hob wiring question

And if it is on fire, the priority is to deal with that, or GTH out, not start turning off appliances.

ok true, but was also thought to eliminate risks and (i hope) my response would be eliminate risk whilst assessing if the fire can be managed and either get a damp tea towel and tackle or gtfo

Sponsored Links
I think the installer certainly needs some credit for managing to get 2 6mm cables into a socket terminal. Oh wait, he didn't trim off some of the strands did he?

The cooker already had a good way of dealing with chip pan fires, it's the knob on the front that controls the heat. Obviously once it's reached flame point, the reaction is exothermic and hence sustains its own heat, so you need to remove the O2 as well. You need quite a few damp tea-towels.

Alternatively, the MythBusters have demonstrated you can extinguish it with water (skip to 5:15):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLfkwF59wIY

Alternatively, the MythBusters have demonstrated you can extinguish it with water (skip to 5:15):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLfkwF59wIY[/QUOTE]

The water doesn't actually extinguish the fire. There's so much of the stuff that there is no oxygen at the seat of the fire, that's why it went out.
It's as effective to use wet towels.

Erm, isn't that what extinguishing a fire is? Removal of either O2, heat (the water does that too) or fuel. Most extinguishing medias remove the O2. Water is quite effective as it removes the heat too.

Sponsored Links
Yes it's fine.

RF I know you're right as always, though I don't follow why. Then again I'm not a sparky.

Why does the new T&E not have to be 6mm? Surely a fault on that cable (eg straight short) would cause the cable to melt before the breaker tripped out? Is the idea not that the breaker protects the cable and the cable is sized accordingly? There's obviously a reason, I'd be intersected to know why.

Why does the new T&E not have to be 6mm? Surely a fault on that cable (eg straight short) would cause the cable to melt before the breaker tripped out?
It would be tested for such if any length was involved.

As it (the 2.5) is only very short the Earth Fault Loop Impedance will still be acceptable for the CPC to withstand the fault current.
We are assuming the cooker circuit meets all the requirements.
Were it longer it may necessary to calculate this.

Is the idea not that the breaker protects the cable and the cable is sized accordingly?
It still will do that.

You asked about fault but just to mention the cable will not be overloaded because the current is limited to 13A by the plug fuse.
Also, although 6mm² has been used, 4mm² is adequate for a 32A circuit and 4mm² T+E (usually) has the same size CPC as 2.5mm².

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back