Hole at bottom corner of outside window? what is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed a hole at bottom of outside window, please see pic. Anyone know what it is? if windows safe? if anything needs to be done?
Thanks all in advance.

Attachments

• window .jpg
    window .jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 230
Sponsored Links
Also a hole on the opposite corner too.

Attachments

• window 2.jpg
    window 2.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 180
A wooden sill has been removed when old widows were replaced.
Either the hole was never filled, or the filling fell out

Is it dangerous that the hole was never filled or filling fell out? Just my idiotic neighbours were saying the windows can fall out if you by knock window or when putting pressure on window from pressing on it when cleaning because of the two holes? Made me worried.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It should be screwed into the brickwork in several places- so should be ok

Window shouldn't go anywhere.
Fill those holes and try to match the pebble.

Is it dangerous that the hole was never filled or filling fell out? Just my idiotic neighbours were saying the windows can fall out if you by knock window or when putting pressure on window from pressing on it when cleaning because of the two holes? Made me worried.

Your neighbour is an idiot, fill the hole and re-dash.

Andy

Original timber windows were held into the brickwork with extended cills and heads......they were called ‘horns’ and these are the holes you see.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back