Condensation problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we had new windows and doors installed last year but we still continue to have problems with condesation and mould.
Ive noticed that on some of the windows condesation is collecting inside of the frame where the window or door sits, the frames have a drain hole but on all of the larger windows the hole is only on the bottom of the window and not in the frame aswell.
The mould we are getting is growing at the bottom of the windows in the corners where it meets the wall.

Sponsored Links
Double glazing does not miraculously cure condensation problems.

You cause the moisture in the air, and it will condense somewhere.

You need to sort out ventilation/extraction and heating, and even change the way you do things before the condensation will reduce.

So do you have any pointers? the thing i cant understand is why its occuring in the corners of the window and why the large windows have a drain hole in them but the frame they sit in doesnt because at the end of the day water that cant escape will track backwards.

Do these windows have trickle vents? If so open them, otherwise open the windows themselves slightly for a few hours each day.

Forget about the drain holes solving the problem. I don't think they are there for that purpose.

I get black mold occurring at the bottom of my bedroom windows, clean it off with a cloth and some bleach every few months. My own fault as I like to sleep with the windows shut tight to keep noise out.

Sponsored Links
I understand that the drain holes want stop condesation forming but they are supposed to wick away the water that collects in the frame, the downstairs windows are fine infact there bone dry but the upstairs large windows have small puddles of water inside the frame they sit in.
The small windows at the top have a drain hole in the frame and they to are dry including the one ine the bathroom that we open when we are having a shower.

Can you post an image of these drain holes and their location

I can't understand your description - your talking about "frames" and "windows" but its not clear what you actually mean. Also are these plastic, timber or a metal frames?

A drain hole will be in the casement openings on modern frames, and you wont see any actually in the frames. There may be some on the cill, but I would not expect to see these on modern installations

I will try and get a picture.
The windows were installed only last year and there plastic, the drain holes are in the bottom of the window that opens and there is a drain hole of the same size that is in the frame that the window sits in so you could say it the main frame that sits in the wall.

OK, no need for a picture

These holes are only to allow any moisture which may get into or which condenses within the hollow frame section to get out.

The hole in the frame section where you open the window is for the same purpose.

They are not there for drainage of condensation which forms on the internal (room side) surfaces - in fact this will not penetrate the frame at all.

The problem does not seem to relate to the window frames, but is one of condensation and you need to stop this forming rather than look for ways to drain it

An average pair of sleeping adults breath out 1.5 pints of water during the evening. lack of ventilation will cause this moisture to settle on the glass and form as condensation.

drying washing on radiators is a major cause of condensation . your windows are not faulty they are doing there job correctly, modernizing properties with out taking into consideration changes of air can have the same result we fill cavities with blown in insulation, we insulate the loft, we fit double glazing seal all around the edges finish off with new doors. result property cant breath.

Thats the thing though, theres wuite a bit of water inside of the frame because on the large windows of the house these drain holes are missing :( .
They are in the windows but not in the frame which i cant quite understand.
We dont normally open the windows that much during the day but this week we have made the effort to see what difference it would make and after putting the windows upstair on the catch from morning until about 15:00 i can say that all of the windows are clear of condesation by the end of the day but after closing them and putting the heating they very quickly gather condesation again which then by the moring has run along the seal at the bottom of the windows and onto the window sill :mad: .
We try and dry the washing outside during the day if its possible and we have got a small tumble dryer to dry my sons cloths as hes 11 months old has lots and lots of washing, i would love to dry all the cloths with the dryer but i doubt i could afford to.
The strange thing is that the room we use to put the cloths in overnight or when the weathers bad doesnt suffer from condesation in the frames at all and gets very little on the glass, its the upstairs windows that suffer the most even in the small room where the hot water tank is and we rarely go in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back