Hole in plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We've just bought a stone built end terrace and when removing the wallpaper in the bedroom, there was an obvious area of damp. It was probably the guttering (it was wooden and rotten) which has been changed.
Anyway, in the area that appeared damp the plaster started to come away. I started to chip this off and eventually this has happened:
Nov252007001.jpg

The plaster is not really attached to the stone very well in this area and sounds hollow around when tapped. I am a bit keen with things like this (like picking a scab). The plaster itself is quite crumbly - I presume it shouldn't be.
When should I stop removing plaster?
What should I do next?

Sponsored Links
if its loose keep pulling it off until it doesn't sound hollow any more. I had this problem in my house, i ended up almost taking all the plaster off!

then you've got a few options, assuming the surface is sound i would put browning to bring it up to the level of the surrounding surface, then apply finish plaster to the whole wall. You could try patch plastering but you'll see it

other option is and this assumes your whole wall is shafted. Dot and dab a few sheets of plasterboard to the wall, then skim that and job done.

I personally much prefer plastering on to plasterboard than render. granted the wall sounds hollow but its perfectly flat and vertical!

Thanks for that, I'm not too bothered about perfectly flat walls as the house is over 100 years old and I quite like the 'authentic' look. The only other problem is that there are some significant holes into the brickwork:
Nov252007001-1.jpg

and here:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/bsolxiv/Nov252007002.jpg
What could I fill these with? Would expanding foam do or should it be some kind of mortar? If so what mix?
I am a little concerned as the hole (above) is between my house and the party wall, the two houses being built at different times, thus not connected.

It sounds like water ingress between the houses. Don't use a lightweight plaster on an outside wall or you'll get damp in it. Make the repair with mortar of about 5-1 ratio and add a waterproofer to the mix.

Sponsored Links
Is the house going to fall down?

Just as a matter of interest, did you get a structural survey on the house before you bought it? That should have highlighted any major problems. If not and you're really worried (and old houses do often have problems like this) you could get one in now and ask his/her advice.

No survey but not unduly worried about it (can't see daylight yet) I guess that the house should stand by itself as it was built later.
I'll probably get someone in to plaster but I want to try and do as much beforehand to reduce labour costs.

OK, I'm pulling off the plaster and it just keeps coming. It seems like it isn't attached to the wall at all, anywhere. I know the best course would be to take off all the plaster in the room and get it redone, but...
...If I just stop and get the hole filled, will cracks just start appearing between old and new plaster?
It's quite old and I guess I should get it lime plastered, is this a lot more expensive?

Personally, I don't pull it off unless I have to. Try soaking a PVA mix of 1 part PVA to 3 parts water. Soak as much as the stuff in until it won't take any more. Let it dry and then make your repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back